gelatin question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubbaK

Reaction score
I just mixed up a tablespoon of gelatin with a cup of water. Cooked it to 180F and cooled it down to add to my secondary. As I cooled it down to about 75F, it hardened to jello. I guess I should have added it much hotter to the secondary?

I usually don't cool it down quite that much. I figure 5 gallons of liquid won't be effected by a cup of hot liquid. Even when I have cooled to 70's, I've never had it solidfy...... Sure you didn't leave in the fridge too long?

I had a temp probe in it when I was cooking it and when I was cooling it down. At about 75F, it turned to jello. I did reheat it to a liquid and poured it into the batch. It sat for a few hours before I bottled. I should have waited longer, but I didn't expect it to work so I bottled anyway. It was the clearest looking beer I've bottled yet. This secondary was in cold crash for 6 days, so that may have helped as well. When I transferred to secondary, it was very cloudy. It sat for 3 weeks before crashing it.

Back