Midwest Supplies has terrible shipping policies.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in your camp and I don't think you are being unreasonable at all. I have shared your experience. All three of my orders arrived after the date agreed upon and it was not because of the shipping company. It is because Midwest sat on the order. A brewing friend of mine has had the same experience.

In the case of my last order, which was a FastFermentor, all they did was slap a shipping label on the FastFermentor box. No reason why they waited until I contacted them to find out why my order had not shipped.

Your experiences are not at all similar.

Jester agreed to one level of service but expected another, and is being unreasonable about it.

You expected shipping to happen at a specified time, and they were late (multiple times by the sound of it). You have a reasonable gripe in my opinion.

You are both hung up on this issue of "sitting on" orders; I disagree with you both that this is an unreasonable approach. There are multiple reasons a business would do this and is perfectly acceptable business practice. However, if this is causing them to miss ship dates that isn't good. I don't know if this is the case or not.

I want to clarify something - the package arrived in the range in which they told you it would when you ordered it and chose that shipping option? Is that correct?

You do realize that these items are made into a recipe kit, correct? (You said you ordered a recipe kit in your first post) Last time I was in MW retail I had talked with the employees about how they make the kits, and it turns out that these recipe kits are made pretty much to order.

Sounds like you received your items within the range of stated delivery and your recipe kit was packed fresh just for your shipment. I see nothing askew here.

Yes they assemble the kit but all the ingredients I order should require ZERO processing from MW. The LME comes pre-packaged from the manufacturer, the yeast comes in it's little packets, and basing off of my previous kit that came with my starter kit from MW, the hops is also pre-packaged in various quantities. My order just needed some pick and pull. Had I ordered a big order as was mentioned above with many specialty grains and a lot of separate components I would totally expect and extra day or two.

I agree with the multitude of comments here that say that Midwest specified the delivery dates and if they meet those dates then they met their obligations.

But it's because of their long delivery times that I chose to spend my dollar elsewhere. Their prices aren't so great that I'm willing to wait a week or more to get the product I order. I hope that Midwest and their sister company Northern Brewer understand that they are losing business because of this policy of sitting on orders for days.

I want to clarify something - the package arrived in the range in which they told you it would when you ordered it and chose that shipping option? Is that correct?

No no I haven't gotten it yet. It just shipped yesterday.

I also want to clarify that I'm not sitting here charging MW with like breach of contract or anything. I'm just a little annoyed with the reasons behind almost a two week wait for a product when actual in-transit time is only 3 days.

Hmm I think the latest date was 6/1. So knowing that all carriers deliver on Saturdays as well, Midwest was giving themselves over a week just to get my stuff in a box. Doesn't that seem like a messed up time range to give people?

No. When I order online, I go by the expected delivery date or range and choose the option I need. I don't care how they get it to me, how long they took to package it, or if they used a bicycle messenger. If I choose an option to be delivered by June 1st and I get it by June 1st, I have no reason to complain. I don't think you have any reason to complain - if they get it to you by the time they promised to get it to you.

Last edited:
Your experiences are not at all similar.

Jester agreed to one level of service but expected another, and is being unreasonable about it.

You expected shipping to happen at a specified time, and they were late (multiple times by the sound of it). You have a reasonable gripe in my opinion.

You are both hung up on this issue of "sitting on" orders; I disagree with you both that this is an unreasonable approach. There are multiple reasons a business would do this and is perfectly acceptable business practice. However, if this is causing them to miss ship dates that isn't good. I don't know if this is the case or not.

You can accept mediocrity or not, that is your choice. There is a reason some people shop for their clothes at Nordstroms and some shop at Sears. Our experiences did have some commonality in the fact that orders where not shipped in a timely manner.

If my business was Mail Order, I would break my balls to make sure all orders are shipped ASAP, I would want return business. At some point as a consumer, you have to say, this person is not providing me with the service I expect and want.

I would be willing to accept their slow order processing if they did not charge my card the moment they accepted my order but when they shipped it. But the moment you take my money, you are now obligated to get me MY product.

Look at somebody like Wilser Bags. He took my money and my expectation was for the bags to get to me in a week or two because the bags are not his day job. He shipped the bags that very day and threw in an extra bag because he wants my business. That is somebody who knows how to do it.

I do know that I am rambling at this point.

Look at somebody like Wilser Bags. He took my money and my expectation was for the bags to get to me in a week or two because the bags are not his day job. He shipped the bags that very day and threw in an extra bag because he wants my business. That is somebody who knows how to do it.

Wow! That guy was motivated! lol

Agree to disagree with you as well. No hard feelings or anything.

Sorry for my brief reply, I inadvertently posted before finishing the post. My fuller explanation is above. If they deliver by the time they promised to deliver, you have no reason to complain, in my opinion. Doesn't matter what methods they use, what process they use - they promised to get it to you by June 1st - if they don't, then complain away. If they do, you knew that when you chose the shipping option.

There are so many great vendors - just go somewhere else. Fast handling times are a must for me. If the vendor sits on my order 3 days I wont go back.

There are so many great vendors - just go somewhere else. Fast handling times are a must for me. If the vendor sits on my order 3 days I wont go back.

Midwest won't sit on your order for three days if you choose a faster shipping option. They let customers choose which is more important to them - speed of delivery or cost.

Sorry for my brief reply, I inadvertently posted before finishing the post. My fuller explanation is above. If they deliver by the time they promised to deliver, you have no reason to complain, in my opinion. Doesn't matter what methods they use, what process they use - they promised to get it to you by June 1st - if they don't, then complain away. If they do, you knew that when you chose the shipping option.
Lol hey it's ok. I do that all the time. I just feel that the amount of $$$ i spend shouldn't determine how motivated a seller is to get my stuff out.

Any way you could show me to some vendors? All i know is MW and NB and i hear they're related and do the same thing.

Midwest won't sit on your order for three days if you choose a faster shipping option. They let customers choose which is more important to them - speed of delivery or cost.

But you realize that the amount you pay for shipping determines how the CARRIERS handle your freight. It should have absolutely no impact on the sellers motivation to get your stuff out or boxed. All packages by them should be handled the same. The money you spend will determine how your stuff gets sorted and transported by UPS/FedEx/USPS

I just feel that the amount of $$$ i spend shouldn't determine how motivated a seller is to get my stuff out.

That makes no sense. Every shipping option from every online vendor I've ever used includes more expensive options for faster delivery and less expensive options for slower delivery.

Midwest gives customers choices. Some customers value quick delivery and others value low cost.

I only infrequently buy from Midwest, can't remember the last time, so I'm not connected to them at all. But your criticism is really unfair.

But you realize that the amount you pay for shipping determines how the CARRIERS handle your freight. It should have absolutely no impact on the sellers motivation to get your stuff out or boxed. All packages by them should be handled the same. The money you spend will determine how your stuff gets sorted and transported by UPS/FedEx/USPS

Why not? You're not paying FedEx or UPS, you're paying Midwest. They told you it would be delivered by June 1st. If they don't get it to you by then, you have a legitimate complaint. Until then, you don't.

I just don't think we're running on the same track here. You pay for shipping. MW has to then use that money to pay UPS to get the package there. You're not paying MW for speed. You pay the carrier.

Example: 3 orders placed same day. Same items and everything. One order pays for the slow shipping like I did and it will take 3 days to get there for $10. The others choose faster shipping for more money. They should all three go out the same day, and then they will arrive at different days because you paid the carrier to get them there faster. I'm not paying to motivate MW. I'm paying extra for the carriers extra speed.

Why not? You're not paying FedEx or UPS, you're paying Midwest. They told you it would be delivered by June 1st. If they don't get it to you by then, you have a legitimate complaint. Until then, you don't.

You're paying the carriers through MW. Theyre just the middle man when it comes to shipping. Shipping isn't free for them. We pay for it. I paid MW for the product. I'm paying the carrier for shipping.

I just don't think we're running on the same track here. You pay for shipping. MW has to then use that money to pay UPS to get the package there. You're not paying MW for speed. You pay the carrier.

Example: 3 orders placed same day. Same items and everything. One order pays for the slow shipping like I did and it will take 3 days to get there for $10. The others choose faster shipping for more money. They should all three go out the same day, and then they will arrive at different days because you paid the carrier to get them there faster. I'm not paying to motivate MW. I'm paying extra for the carriers extra speed.

Online vendors are not charging you the exact cost that shippers charge them. It doesn't work that way. And even if they did, its a legitimate business practice to process different levels of shipping options differently.

None of which matters. They promised to get your package to you by June 1st. You choose that option, knowing that was their promised delivery date. Your complaint is not valid until they've failed to deliver your order by that date.

You're paying the carriers through MW. Theyre just the middle man when it comes to shipping. Shipping isn't free for them. We pay for it. I paid MW for the product. I'm paying the carrier for shipping.

That is 100% incorrect. If your package gets lost by UPS, you won't go to UPS for satisfaction, you'll ask Midwest to refund your money or send you a replacement. It is Midwest's responsibility to get you your package by the date they promised you.

Yeah they probably have an account with UPS to save a bit. I doubt they take a loss on it though. And yes it legitimate practice in the sense that it's legal, but it's not always in the customers best interest. Agreed?

Wonder why these stores do these things? At least explain to people that this is what's happening. Like put a footnote by the saver shipping that mentions that orders won't get processed same day. I'm sure some would just say ok cool and wait for their stuff. Anyway I tracked my package and it's saying Friday with UPS. I'll be brewing Sunday. Saturday we're going to the beach. It's a great time to be alive.

I suspect they do it this way because it allows them to make better use of their shipping resources.

Consider: suppose you can only do 1000 packages a day, of any kind. If you had, say, 1200 packages, to get them out in one day you'd need to pay overtime to shipping people to do that.

But, if 300 of those packages were "I can wait" packages, you could do 1000 today, and move the remaining 200 to the next day. It allows you to even out shipping production.

That is 100% incorrect. If your package gets lost by UPS, you won't go to UPS for satisfaction, you'll ask Midwest to refund your money or send you a replacement. It is Midwest's responsibility to get you your package by the date they promised you.

When they ship a product they are supposed to declare a value. If it's lost or damaged, first MW will send me another one yes, but then they will proceed with getting UPS to pay for the lost product. That's how it works. The carriers insure it.

You're saying your order is MORE important than everyone else's, i.e., package and ship my order RIGHT NOW regardless of how many other orders are ahead of me in the queue.

Did you even read what i posted? I want to be treated equal. Not to be given preference. They're putting me at the back of the line.

Did you even read what i posted? I want to be treated equal. Not to be given preference. They're putting me at the back of the line.

And there are lots of orders ahead of you who are also being treated equally.

When they ship a product they are supposed to declare a value. If it's lost or damaged, first MW will send me another one yes, but then they will proceed with getting UPS to pay for the lost product. That's how it works. The carriers insure it.

Right. Midwest will deal with UPS. Not you. Midwest is responsible for getting your package to you by the date they promised you. When they don't do that, then complain.

I suspect they do it this way because it allows them to make better use of their shipping resources.

Consider: suppose you can only do 1000 packages a day, of any kind. If you had, say, 1200 packages, to get them out in one day you'd need to pay overtime to shipping people to do that.

But, if 300 of those packages were "I can wait" packages, you could do 1000 today, and move the remaining 200 to the next day. It allows you to even out shipping production.

That is so true, but from my experience, they are not moving them to the next day. It is several days later. If it was my business and I was having to push orders multiple days, that tells me as the business owner, "hey I am doing great, maybe I need to hire someone new."

Absolutely not. A good business allows me the choice of speed of delivery versus cost and delivers the package by the time they promise.

Well i guess we will always have different thoughts on this, and that's ok. I still like brewing and will keep going and learning which vendors i like and do not like to work with.

And there are lots of orders ahead of you who are also being treated equally.

Not by what I was told by them. But even if all orders were treated equal, it should not take 3 days to process. Then at that point they need more employees and scale up.

Don't accuse him of not reading your posts, he wasn't rude to you and you shouldn't be to him. He responded exactly on point to you. Nearly everyone in this thread has pointed out to you that your complaint is not valid, at least not yet, but you don't seem to be interested in hearing that.

At this point, you seem to have a vendetta against Midwest. You've made your point and I don't see the value of continuing the conversation.

Latest posts

Back