Swamp cooler/Fermentation question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
Ok, I have decided to go with the swamp cooler to lower my fermentation temps. Now, lets say I am doing a simple IPA, and use US-05. I keep it in the swamp cooler for say a week, until most of the fermentation is done and a FG is close to where I want it to be.

Can I then remove it from the swamp cooler, or stop adding the frozen water bottles to it? Once the fermrntation is done, the esters will cease production, correct?

Yes. The most important time to control temperature is during the first few days of fermentation when the most yeast growth is happening. After most of fermentation has occurred, the risk of producing off flavors decreases quite a bit.

A lot of folks actually recommend slowly bringing the temperature up after those first few days to keep the yeast active while they clean up some of the early byproducts.

Back