Is There Any Issue Hooking Up A Spa Panel Like This?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidFlame

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an electrician coming to install a sub panel (since my main breaker panel is full) and a new 50A 240V line to my garage with a 50A 4 prong receptacle on the wall. I was then planning on buying a 60A GFCI Spa Panel from HD and hook it up like how the picture shows. Figure the picture would be easier than having to type everything out to explain it. Are there any issues with doing this?

spapanel.jpg

Thanks.

Although it would be a PITA to have to go back to the house, why not just put the GFI in the main panel and skip the spa box?

I assume your proposed connections between spa panel and control panel are via cords? You could run the 50amp run right into the spa panel, then do the connection to the control panel via a cord. If you wanted dual purpose out of that 50amp wall plug you could put another regular 50amp breaker in the spa panel and run a wall mount from there and turn the breaker on when you need it. I have a similar situation but hard wired into the control panel next to the spa panel.

Here are some pics that may explain it better, note I don't actually have that wall outlet wired to a breaker yet in the spa panel.

IMG5911-M.jpg
IMG5850-L.jpg

Here is with the panel mounted before pulling power in.
beerrig0016-M.jpg

I assume your proposed connections between spa panel and control panel are via cords? You could run the 50amp run right into the spa panel, then do the connection to the control panel via a cord. If you wanted dual purpose out of that 50amp wall plug you could put another regular 50amp breaker in the spa panel and run a wall mount from there and turn the breaker on when you need it. I have a similar situation but hard wired into the control panel next to the spa panel.

Here are some pics that may explain it better, note I don't actually have that wall outlet wired to a breaker yet in the spa panel.

IMG5911-M.jpg
IMG5850-L.jpg

Here is with the panel mounted before pulling power in.
beerrig0016-M.jpg

Yes, I would be using cords. I get what your saying and I should have probably mentioned that the reasoning/idea behind this was so the spa panel could be portable if I move/take my rig somewhere.

If your plan is mobile then that would work. I don't know what your CP power needs are, but keep in mind wherever you travel you will need to have a 50amp receptacle available which isn't exotic, but you're more likely to have a 30amp receptacle available to hook up to. If your CP is only using 30amp you will save a lot of expense creating cords for that amperage instead. You may need the full 50amps for your particular CP though so ignore me if that's the case. :rockin:

Agreed. This is exactly what I'm looking to do.

I don't mind using the 240v 30A outlet to power the spa panel, then the spa panel to power to PID and element. SWMBO is cool with not doing laundry for a few hours!

I wonder if I build this for a 30A setup. Am I ever going to wish I had the 50A build?

I am doing single vessel BIAB...

Also I am wondering if the cord going to the wall needs to be rated for 50A if the whole point is to plug it into a 30A outlet.

What size control panel is it?

If it's a 50A control panel you need to use a 50A GFI and associated wiring (typically 6 ga if it's copper).
If it's a 30A control panel you need to use a 30A GFI and associated wiring (typically 10 ga if it's copper).

Kal

If, per the original post, you have a 50A breaker in your main electrical panel, then you should use wiring rated to 50A, regardless of what you plan to power with it. Even if you never plan to draw over 30A, if you have a failure situation that does so a 50A breaker will not protect 30A wiring.

The electrician got everything installed yesterday and I can't be more than happy with how everything turned out. He installed a 100A sub panel with a 50A breaker and feeds to my new 240V 4-prong 50A receptacle. Now all I have to do is finish pricing out somethings and I'll be able to start building. I strayed a little bit from my original thread, but I'm going to try and consolidate and keep track of my build from my original thread. If you'd like to follow along and keep track of my progress I'll be posting here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/liquidflames-eherms-build-need-help-350968/ and my blog in my signature, which I really need to update.

2012-10-17_12-21-21_626.jpg

2012-10-17_12-20-21_542.jpg

Agreed. This is exactly what I'm looking to do.

I don't mind using the 240v 30A outlet to power the spa panel, then the spa panel to power to PID and element. SWMBO is cool with not doing laundry for a few hours!

Alright damn it, what does SWMBO stand for? Something about the wife...

lol.. I wondered for a long time too and finally googled it one day...

BTW if you were looking, despite kals statement above, a 50a or 60a gfci does in fact work exactly the same as far as gfci function/ protection when wired on a 30a circuit... This thread is ancient but many people here including myself use 50A spa panels wired after a 30a breaker on a 30a line and I have (inadvertently) tested the gfci funtion a few times now myself.

This is done because just a 30a gfci breaker is ridiculously expensive compared to an entire 50 or 60a spa panel.

I just set up my Colorado Brewing Systems Nano Home brewery and did what you are contemplating. It wasn't that difficult to add an outlet and wire the spa panel. My biggest challenge was stuffing the wires into the box for the wall outlet. I went with a spa panel because the breakers for the 220 in my shop/brewery are the "skinny" style and a GFCI breaker in the panel would need to be the "fat" kind and wouldn't fit. I decided the spa panel was a simpler, DIY-able, cheaper way to go.

IMG_2604.jpg

Back