36hr. Fermentation???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captflyer

Reaction score
Made my first extract kit. Followed the directions to a tee. I put the wort in the fermenter at 5pm on Sunday, bubbled great for about 36 hours and stopped.

I checked the temp. and it's 72ºF. It is now wed. with the second day on fon activity. Is something wrong? Should I transfer it to the secondary fermenter? Do I need to pitch new yeast?

The only way to really know for sure is to check the SG a few days in a row. If it stays pretty constant, then you're probably done fermenting. 36hrs seems pretty quick to me, though.

You're most likely done. 72 is pretty warm so you will probably have some off flavors. Leave it alone for a couple of weeks and let the yeast clean up after themselves. It's hard to wait but you will be glad you did.

If it's a normal alcohol beer, most of the heavy fermentation could be over in 36 to 48 hours if everything was just right. It's probably still working, just at a much slower pace. I'd let it settle for a few days, transfer to the secondary and relax for a week or two. Take a hydrometer reading when you transfer it to the secondary and check it again in a couple days to see if it has changed. I'm sure your fine.

In my experience,initial fermentation is over. It can take more time to get down to a stable FG. So use your hydrometer. Airlock bubbles aren't a good gauge for when fermentation is done. 72F isn't too bad a temp for many ale yeasts. Just get a stable FG over 2 or 3 days,then give it 3-5 days more to clean up & settle out more.

Back