Problem with Auto-siphon suction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apfann

Reaction score
Greetings,

I've been lurking and search the site for a bit and I've yet to see a posting related to my particular problem.

I've been losing a lot beer in my transfers and I think I finally pegged the siphoning as the culprit.

I've been noticing a steadily increasing leak between the siphon and my tubing, which presents a problem in itself.
But furthermore, as the air intake increases during the rack, I eventually lose the suction and I am left with too much left to be happy about and too little to effectively move into my secondary.

So, first question...
This ever happened to anyone here before?

Second question,
I have just bought a new length of tubing and will be headed out for a hose clamp to keep the seal on the siphon.
Any reason not to think that this will solve the problem?

Thanks for the feedback and happy brewing!

I've found that people who are having issue with their A/S are usually using too large a size of plastic tubing on the end....try using a plastic hose clamp like this, over the hose somewhere along the length before the bend.

SNP-10.jpg

Other people have found that the gasket on the bottom end of the racking tube (that fits inside the big tube) may be bad, or dried, some have added some keglube/foodgrade silicone grease around it to make a better seal, others just put some water on top of the gasket (like with a turkey baster) inside the tube, and that makes for an air tight seal.

Hit or miss Autosiphons are hit or miss usually because of a bad seal in one of the two afore mentioned spots.

As a follow up, I had a flawless siphon last weekend moving my Nut Brown Ale to secondary.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I bought some new tubing (3/8in) and a hose clamp from HD.
Not the one Revvy pictured, they didn't have those, but the screw tightened kind.

Anyway, worked like a charm and no Beer loss this time!

I have a decently tight fit but also seal the end of the tube when it's over the siphon stem with a wrap of teflon tape. That stops any air from leaking in.

Latest posts

Back