I am an idiot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to post something not so idiotic, but I have an update on the idiotic black IPA. After dry hopping for 7 days I bottled it tonight. The end result is 7.5% ABV, 52 IBU, SRM 36. If the flat sample is any indication as to how good this beer is going to be this might end up being my best beer yet. I guess I'll know in three weeks when they're carbed up. I'll update again when I open the first bottle.

Sorry to post something not so idiotic, but I have an update on the idiotic black IPA. After dry hopping for 7 days I bottled it tonight. The end result is 7.5% ABV, 52 IBU, SRM 36. If the flat sample is any indication as to how good this beer is going to be this might end up being my best beer yet. I guess I'll know in three weeks when they're carbed up. I'll update again when I open the first bottle.

You must now wear a box over your head... Oh wait..

10246145_tuckerdale_vs_evil_filmstill3.jpg

Would you mind to get the FLIP back on topic??!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?1?

WesleyS said:

Since the idiotic black IPA was born due to this thread I think it would be idiotic to post anywhere else or eh....hmmm I must be an idiot cause that just makes no sense

My version of the IBPA came out nice and clean (or at least flaws are well hidden), but I didn't effectively mix my priming solution prior to bottling, so the end product runs the gamut from great to terrible.

I added my priming solution first to the bottling bucket, and then siphoned the beer on top of that. I thought that would provide sufficient mixing, but apparently not. The first 24 bottles ranged from overcarbed/dry to well balanced and very tasty, and the second 24 ranged from well balanced and tasty to undercarbed and super tannic/roasty and undrinkable. I'll put them away somewhere and maybe in a year or so I'll be able to choke them down.

Clearly, an idiotic thing to do.

I now use a brew spoon to gently stir it in my priming solution...and a modicom of bog myrtle hurteth not. lesson learned. Just because I'm an idiot doesn't mean I can't learn from my mistakes.

Also, chicken butt.

My version of the IBPA came out nice and clean (or at least flaws are well hidden), but I didn't effectively mix my priming solution prior to bottling, so the end product runs the gamut from great to terrible.

I added my priming solution first to the bottling bucket, and then siphoned the beer on top of that. I thought that would provide sufficient mixing, but apparently not. The first 24 bottles ranged from overcarbed/dry to well balanced and very tasty, and the second 24 ranged from well balanced and tasty to undercarbed and super tannic/roasty and undrinkable. I'll put them away somewhere and maybe in a year or so I'll be able to choke them down.

I now use a brew spoon to gently stir it in my priming solution...and a modicom of bog myrtle hurteth not. lesson learned. Just because I'm an idiot doesn't mean I can't learn from my mistakes.

Also, chicken butt.

NEVER stirred. Never a carb problem.

Sugar must not have completely dissolved in solution.
Boil until all priming sugar is COMPLETELY dissolved.

Not an idiot. Experience is what makes you a master. No substitute.

NEVER stirred. Never a carb problem.

Sugar must not have completely dissolved in solution.
Boil until all priming sugar is COMPLETELY dissolved.

Not an idiot. Experience is what makes you a master. No substitute.

Damnit. I'm trying too hard to fit in with you master idiots I guess.

hmmm...anything else that could cause it? Corn sugar was boiled for 15 mins and was definately fully disolved. Maybe the beer didn't have long enough to settle out in primary and was stratified? No way to tell by looking at it since it's a black beer. The yeast were fully flocked though.

Still, that wouldn't explain my perception of differences in carbonation level, but if half was more turbid than the other, maybe that's the issue with taste, and the carb thing is in my head?
This beer contained a lot of cold steeped dark malts...more than you would want to mash or hot steep. Maybe that's part of this issue?

Never had a problem, I don´t stir my priming solution neither. Did you rack it in a way that the beer will gently "whirpool" so the sugar mixes?

:off: I have run into the same problem. My last batch I boiled in 2 cups of water instead of just 1 and it seems to have mixed better....

I also prefer a slightly larger volume of water for dissolving priming sugar. It seems to promote easier and more thorough mixing into the beer.

Idiots! All of you! You're supposed to use two gallons of water to dissolve your priming sugar.

Hamsterbite said:

Also, chicken butt.

I'm surprised mine turned out as well as it did. I really like the character from the chinook I dry hopped with. Of course I'll know the final result when they're all carbed. There were a lot of firsts for me with this beer. My first IPA. First time using seven ounces of hops in one batch. First time dry hopping. First time brewing wearing a loin cloth with Tarzan Boy by Baltimora playing on a continuous loop in the background. Lots of firsts, but all went well.

I find that black bear urine is a perfect solvent for priming sugar. It is also best to collect it fresh.

Oh, I've just been singing lounge music to them and stroking their ears before collection. I'll have to try a shot to the beanbag next time.

I love you guys....

Measure priming solution????

I figure "more beer"

Yeah, mine were more like 8 cups of water.....seriously.

And...chicken butt.....wait, what?

Chicken but is best when deep fried.

Priming solution is likely to have a gravity higher then the beer. So if it's in the bottom of the bucket it isn't going to want to mix with the rest of the solution.

I wonder how deep fried blackbird feet would taste...

Leadgolem said:
Chicken but is best when deep fried.

Priming solution is likely to have a gravity higher then the beer. So if it's in the bottom of the bucket it isn't going to want to mix with the rest of the solution.

I wonder how deep fried blackbird feet would taste...

Quit confusing the issue....priming solution does want to mix. It also wants braised blackbird butt cheeks.

Got another stinking whale infection. What is it about my stouts that they love so much? No amount of aging can cover that funk and brett just makes it worse. Last time I tried that the beer smelled worse than a nursing home in July without AC.

Back