colbert report rip on bud lite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jameswardpeterson

Reaction score
Did anyone else see the word of the day on the colbert report tonight? For those that didn't, The Word was 'join the European union' (not a word really) colbert says that he's gotta get used to the stronger beers in Europe, make sure your watching the words on the screen at the moment.

heres the vid:
http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertreport/videos.jhtml?videoId=177510

The irony of it is the US, as great a country as it is, couldn't even qualify to be an EU member because we have too much debt and unemployment

Thats not neccessarily a bad thing- Taxes are lower than most EU states and having to Employ people no matter how useless they are is not the way to keep #s looking good.

For the EU politicians, that is. Quite a few reports show that European citizens wouldn't mind having it in their society.
I'm sure some people would like to have it. I believe most people are glad we don't have it. There's certainly no clamour to start executing people, unless you count the debate on euthanasia, which is rather different.

Anyway, this thread was about beer and Stephen Colbert. So to avoid derailing it into another stinky political thread, I propose that both killing people and not killing people is AWESOME, and both Europe and North America are AWESOME, and GDPs and taxes are AWESOME. Or lame. Whichever.

:off: I'll tell you where is rubbish. Bhutan. Total f'ing sh'thole. :D

I love the Sunny D comment :D

has anyone drank that stuff recently? I won't give it to my kid b/c that crap is strong.... stings the nostrils.... I'm going to be honest with you, that stuff smells like pure gasoline.

The irony of it is the US, as great a country as it is, couldn't even qualify to be an EU member because we have too much debt and unemployment...:eek:

According to the statics I can find the public debt (as a percentage of GDP) and unemployment rate are both below the EU average.
Maybe I missed something?

Craig

It was a good original post. Unfortunately the only way is down for this thread. ;)

No more political posts from me. Some people seem to get all upset and bent out of shape about mere opinions.

Also, I will not comment on any video that refers to Association football as S*ccer (I still can't say the "S" word) ;)

It was a good original post. Unfortunately the only way is down for this thread. ;)

No more political posts from me. Some people seem to get all upset and bent out of shape about mere opinions.

Also, I will not comment on any video that refers to Association football as S*ccer (I still can't say the "S" word) ;)

Soccer is *barely* even a real sport here in the states!! :D

According to the statics I can find the public debt (as a percentage of GDP) and unemployment rate are both below the EU average.
Maybe I missed something?

Craig

Actually you didn't miss anything. He has no idea what he is talking about. The unemployment rate is well over 10% in most EU countries (France, Germany, etc). And the people that do "work" are usually too busy taking two hour lunches or are on vacation.

Actually you didn't miss anything. He has no idea what he is talking about. The unemployment rate is well over 10% in most EU countries (France, Germany, etc). And the people that do "work" are usually too busy taking two hour lunches or are on vacation.

The French really do take two hour lunches! I worked for a roofing company there. The lunch was a part of the wages. The buggers made me sit down for a four course meal, at least half a bottle of wine then back to climbing up the rafters when all you want to do is nap!!! Jeez!! After that the company paid for a couple of beers on the way home......All I wanted was a 15 minute break and get back home to feed the goats as quick as possible!

Seriously, I REALLY wanted to get back home, but NO! We gotta do all that eating and drinking crap! :mad:

Really? But your GDP is pretty good. Doesn't that count for anything?

It's based largely on consumption, not on production. Brazil, China, Russia and India is where the new prosperity is arising. The US is in decline. A day of reckoning is coming.

It's based largely on consumption, not on production. Brazil, China, Russia and India is where the new prosperity is arising. The US is in decline. A day of reckoning is coming.

That may be, but I'm thinking that the writing is so clear on the wall that if enough people read it the necessary changes will happen. There's some sub-prime fallout now that is sounding pretty loud warning bells. People are listening.

Oh, and as for the original post, the video is gone. That's not a bad thing for me because I've tried to watch Colbert a few times and each time I came to the same conclusion. The man is an idiot. Sorry.

That may be, but I'm thinking that the writing is so clear on the wall that if enough people read it the necessary changes will happen. There's some sub-prime fallout now that is sounding pretty loud warning bells. People are listening.

Oh, and as for the original post, the video is gone. That's not a bad thing for me because I've tried to watch Colbert a few times and each time I came to the same conclusion. The man is an idiot. Sorry.

Are you watching it right? You DO know that he is playing a satirical character loosely based on Bill O'Riley? The man Colbert is a friggin' GENIUS!

Having said all that, it took me a LONG time to stomach him even as a satire. :)

Are you watching it right? You DO know that he is playing a satirical character loosely based on Bill O'Riley? The man Colbert is a friggin' GENIUS!

Nope, didn't know that. Being Canadian I don't watch Bill O'Riley so I suspect that side of the humor is lost on me. The thing is, I've heard so many respectable, intelligent people rave about Coltert that I've tried to watch a few times. Each time was some low-brow flamboyant pseudo-slapstick shtick that was more silly than funny. I didn't find his political satire to be clever at all. It was just loud and blatant.

Now that I'm aware that he's playing a 'character', I may watch again in a different light, but tell me, does he actually get into some good intelligent political satire in the latter parts of the show? I usually switch after a few minutes.

Nope, didn't know that. Being Canadian I don't watch Bill O'Riley so I suspect that side of the humor is lost on me. The thing is, I've heard so many respectable, intelligent people rave about Coltert that I've tried to watch a few times. Each time was some low-brow flamboyant pseudo-slapstick shtick that was more silly than funny. I didn't find his political satire to be clever at all. It was just loud and blatant.

Now that I'm aware that he's playing a 'character', I may watch again in a different light, but tell me, does he actually get into some good intelligent political satire in the latter parts of the show? I usually switch after a few minutes.

All you need to know is that he is ALWAYS in character. He speaks loudly because the louder you say it, the more truthful it becomes (Like fox news)

Always in character was what gave me a hard time at first.

Have you seen his speech in front of the president!!??

I can't be assed to find it on youtube, but someone will post it soon. That guy rocks! :D

All you need to know is that he is ALWAYS in character. He speaks loudly because the louder you say it, the more truthful it becomes (Like fox news)

Always in character was what gave me a hard time at first.

Have you seen his speech in front of the president!!??

I can't be assed to find it on youtube, but someone will post it soon. That guy rocks! :D

I HAVE seen the speech. That was pretty gutsy. He won't be invited to do that again. I have a friend who subscribes to the loud v. truth correlation and while a skit that lampoons that strategy might be amusing once, it certainly doesn't have enough weight to carry it from week to week.

Fingers, I'm putting you ON NOTICE for not recognizing Colbert's comedy genius.

OnNotice.jpg

If you want to play go here.

has anyone drank that stuff recently? I won't give it to my kid b/c that crap is strong.... stings the nostrils.... I'm going to be honest with you, that stuff smells like pure gasoline.

Were you talking about Bud or Sunnt D?

What do yo guys think, John Stewart and Steven, thats a winning ticket

Tim

I can only say that the media is suffering from multiple bad love affairs, the first with themselves, then with the liberals, and then against anyone who is not them or liberal. Love em, hate em, who is the next target for ridicule. Spears, Imus, "Oh not Jackson, he's one of us".
The media is beyond control and becoming something like a fifth column, but they are not even interested in being king makers but stroking their own egos.
That is what I take away from - Colbert, and does anyone really wear those armbands, I thought red was the band for the Psych wards?

You have unleashed the beast, jameswardpeterson!

OnNotice.jpg

Tony Danza is my celebrity nemesis. I hate him so very very much. I would punch him right in the junk and scream "Who's the boss NOW, BIATCH?" if I met him.

I love the Sunny D comment :D

I'm loving the Ron Burgandy references, :D can't remember where I saw the other one though.

I can only say that the media is suffering from multiple bad love affairs, the first with themselves, then with the liberals, and then against anyone who is not them or liberal. Love em, hate em, who is the next target for ridicule. Spears, Imus, "Oh not Jackson, he's one of us".
The media is beyond control and becoming something like a fifth column, but they are not even interested in being king makers but stroking their own egos.
That is what I take away from - Colbert, and does anyone really wear those armbands, I thought red was the band for the Psych wards?

I agree the media sucks......BUT

It isn't because they are liberal, it is because they are RATINGS DRIVEN!!!!!!!

It doesn't matter if it is news, it matters if it will get them more advertising $
So let's not get political you conservative ****er. (;))

Latest posts

Back