American IPA 5 Hoppiness Wheat IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

high5apparatus

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale 05
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days 68 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
7 day swirl, 14 day rest
Tasting Notes
An American Wheat with big citrus hop flavor.
This is the first recipe I ever developed on my own. I've been brewing it for 3 years and since more breweries are putting out Wheat IPA's I thought I'd share mine.

5 Hoppiness Wheat IPA (click for Hopville recipe)

310350_2401981963252_1477860591_n.jpg

4lb 2 row pale
4lb Red wheat
12oz Crystal 20L
12oz Honey Malt
8oz Munich Malt
8oz Rice Hulls (if needed to prevent stuck mash)

Mash for 90 minutes at 150 degrees.

First Wort Hop 1oz Amarillo
25 min 1oz Cascade
25 min 1oz Centennial
10 min 1oz Centennial
5 min 1oz Cascade

4.5% abv 162 calories/12oz bottle

Cheers!
166399_1675941532695_5907036_n.jpg

Original extract recipe (click for Hopville recipe)

Would you please clarify the "7 day swirl, 14 day rest" note in Secondary Fermentation? Also, I noticed that there is no dry hop. Have you previously tried it and didn't like the result?

I'm very intrigued by this recipe, and the idea of a wheat IPA in general. Thanks for sharing.

I have never dry hopped this beer. I use to do straight hop additions but I now first wort hop. I do not secondary as in physically transferring the beer. After 7 days of "Primary" I gently rotate the glass carboy inside the dairy cases that hold them, a couple times a day, to rotate the column of beer. This keeps the yeast in suspension and increases attenuation. After 7 days of swirling, I let the beer set for 14 days before bottling. I have a beer, a rye pale ale, that I both first wort hop and dry hop, so I would see no reason why you couldn't do both.

Back