Imperial Red help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
It’s that time of year when I start drinking Great Lakes Nosferatu and I am inclined to try making an Imperial Red since I have never tried it. I'll preface all this by saying my brew experience is based purely on using already existing recipes. I've never tried concocting my own. That said, Great Lakes lists ingredients as:

Harrington 2 Row
Crystal 77
Special Roast
Simcoe
Cascade
No mention of the yeast.
8% ABV
75 IBU
18 Plato

Here is what I drummed up based on what I have immediate access to and for a 4 gallon batch:

10 lb: Breiss 2 Row Pale
.84 lb: Breiss 80L
.07 lb: Breiss Special Roast
1 oz. Simcoe (12.7%)– 60 min.
1 oz. Simcoe (12.7%) – 30 min.
.5 oz. Cascade (7.5%) – 15 min.
.5 oz Cascade (7.5%) – 5 min.
US-05
This comes out to 7.72 ABV, 74.2 IBU, OG 1.074 (18P)

The numbers are close, but I don't really know whether I have the percentages right. Am I on track to produce polluted swamp water or is this reasonable?

Certainly looks like you are on the right track. I'd probably up the special roast to ~.25-.5 lbs to add more toasty flavors. I'd probably also use some of the Simcoe near the end, although I don't remember Nosferatu being that hoppy, although I haven't had a bottle in years.

I am planning on brewing something similar and was wondering if you ended up brewing this and what yeast strain did you choose?

without having nosferatu in years, i dont remember how much hop flavor is in it. however, assuming it has some hop character considering simcoe and cascade are in use, i would maybe just add a KO addition and some dry hops to the existing recipe...since it looks pretty good. Only thing missing is some more hop flavor and aroma...as you are pretty minimal on late hops.

i would take what you have there, and just add .75oz of simcoe and 1oz of cascade right after you take it off the boil. i think the same amounts in dry hop will be nice as well. not overpowering hoppy in flavor and aroma, but enough of a punch to stand up to all of the crystal.

Next time I would tone down the crystal as it was a little on the sweet side. I did however like the hop combination.

Latest posts

Back