Can I use BBQ Side Burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orpheus

Reaction score
I know I asked this a month ago, but I asked the wrong question.

I have a BBQ with a 12000 BTU side burner. I'm an extract brewer who does partial boils of ~ 2 gallons.

Do you think I'd do okay using my BBQ side burner and brewing outside? They're calling for another hot week and I'd like to try not to overheat the house if possible.

Anyone do this? Thoughts? Opinions?

For a 2 gallon boil, 12,000 should be fine. I've done them on my camp stove which is rated at 10,000.

I was just thinking, "15 lbs. of weight, 2 gallons of water will never get up to that!" and then I realized, "Then I'm adding 6 lbs. extract, 1.5 lbs. of grain, etc."

I still don't think I'd get quite to 15 lbs. but thanks for pointing that out. If I use it, I'll definitely be concious of this fact.

It's a moot point for today anyway :( , they're calling for rain and the skies are overcast so I'm using the stove. Maybe save that for some nice late summer/early fall brewing! :mug:

Well then, I'm very glad I stuck with the stove for today! :)

The beer turned out great anyway and the house didn't warm up too badly. The wort is cooling in an ice bath right now.

On another positive note, my Wise Ass Red Bitter has the same gravity for the third day in a row and the airlock fell so there's no air coming out, so I'm prepping one of my kegs to keg my first batch of beer. What a momentous occasion!:fro:

Back