Making a steak indoors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up just trying it out on my george foreman. Sprinkled them with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Heated up the foreman and threw them on with some butter and left it on for 8 minutes... and for being on a GF, it was incredible!

I get then best of both worlds using an iron griddle/grill. Get the nice grill marks, some char flavor as well. Not incredibly expensive. Like any cast iron cookware, once properly seasoned clean up is a snap.

He's right about the cast iron! We've cooked all kinds of steaks in a well seasoned cast iron pan. Burning a good steak is an exercise in patience, just like brewing.

I personally enjoyed our GF grill, but it wasn't the real GF grill. We've had two, and I can highly recommend the one in which the plates can be taken out and washed separately. That one we simply scraped with a plastic scraper real quick and threw in the dishwasher.

I really should find a nice Cast Iron pan in a yard sale somewhere and sandblast it and season it up. I don't always want a heavy, heat soaking pan, but sometimes I do.

We also have one of those cast iron rectangular pans that's smooth on one side & ribbed on the other. Very handy as well.

We have had 2 George Foreman grills. The first one (cheap), the panels were not removable, so you had to kind of dangle the whole unit over the sink to clean it. Major pain in the butt. So we bought the expensive one, with the removable grill surfaces. Easier, but still too much work and hardware for meat. So I watched a few YouTube videos to see how the pros do it.

That's when I was introduced to the majesty of the cast-iron grill pan.

I agree with everyone who's also recommended this tool. It's amazing. It's changed the way I cook meat. Want a perfect medium-rare steak? Here's how:

• Prep the steak as you normally would. Take it out of the fridge a couple of hours before cooking to allow it to warm up, season it with some oil, some salt and pepper, whatever else you want.
  • Put your cast-iron grill pan (I use a Lodge brand one) in the oven and turn the oven on to 400° F. Wait for it to preheat.
  • Take the pan out of the oven and put it on your stove top with the burner on high. Get the pan nice and hot. You'll know it's ready when little whisps of purple smoke start rising from it (from the oil the pan is seasoned with).
  • Drop the steak on the pan and immediately set the timer for 45 seconds. When it beeps, rotate the steak 90° and set the timer again. Next beep, flip the steak over, set it for 45 more seconds. Finally, rotate it another 90° for the last 45 seconds. This is what gives you those nice, grid-like grill lines. Alternatively, just do 90 seconds per side without rotating the steak for a single set of parallel grill marks. Make sure the pan is as hot as possible for this, as the heat will prevent the meat from sticking to the pan.
  • Throw the whole pan in the oven at 400°. Set a timer for 6-8 minutes (every oven is different, takes a little practice to get the timing right. More steaks = slightly more time). Once the timer goes off, take the pan out of the oven, immediately move the steak off of the pan and onto a plate to rest for 5 more minutes and re-absorb the juices before you cut into it.

You won't believe how awesome the resulting steak will be.

Same process for chicken or pork, but give them 12-14 minutes in the oven to cook through, depending on the thickness of the meat and how many portions.

Care and feeding: DO NOT dunk the pan in water immediately after cooking. Let it cool naturally. In fact, don't use water on it at all. Once it's cooled down, use the little scraper tool it should come with to scrape off any black leftover meat bits. Rub a little vegetable oil on the pan to keep it seasoned, and you should be good to go.

Everyone on this forum will hate me for this, but hear me out, and try it:

Pick up a solid size top sirloin. A nice fat layer around one edge will do good. Cut off the fat strip and set aside. Dry rub the meat with your choice of seasonings, salt + pepper is fantastic, for about 4 hours. Cook up a veggi soup, I use Cabbage, Mushrooms, onions, garlic, Celery, potatoes, whole corn (each ear cut into three pieces), and zucchini if it is available. Add can of tomato sauce (if you like heat, get El Pato) and the fat strip, add enough water to cover the veggies. Cook on high for about 30-45 min or until the potatoes are done and celery has lost its crisp. Salt and pepper to taste or add a vegi stock base (I like Better Than Bullion). Once done, turn off heat and remove pot from heat source and dunk your seasoned steak to the bottom of the pot and cover with a lid!

Grab a bowl for your soup and a plate for your steak, pour a beer, scoop your veggie soup out, and a few minutes later, dig out your steak and top with worcestershire sauce.

Unbelievable.

1) Set your oven to 400f

2) Put olive oil in a pan on your oven and get it hot but not screaming hot(because the oil will jump!)

3) Put the steak on it stove top pan to get a good sear on each side

4) Place steak in a glass Pyrex pan

5) Pour some water in pan used to sear the steak(this will create a watery/flavorful bath for your steak and also cool the pan!)

6) Pour pan water in Pyrex pan with steak in it(about a 1/4 inch of water) and bake until the steak is cooked to your liking!

Pick up a solid size top sirloin. A nice fat layer around one edge will do good. Cut off the fat strip and set aside. [snip]

Yeah, I hate you.

Pick up a solid size top sirloin. A nice fat layer around one edge will do good. Cut off the fat strip and set aside. Dry rub the meat with your choice of seasonings, salt + pepper is fantastic, for about 4 hours. Cook up a veggi soup, I use Cabbage, Mushrooms, onions, garlic, Celery, potatoes, whole corn (each ear cut into three pieces), and zucchini if it is available. Add can of tomato sauce (if you like heat, get El Pato) and the fat strip, add enough water to cover the veggies. Cook on high for about 30-45 min or until the potatoes are done and celery has lost its crisp. Salt and pepper to taste or add a vegi stock base (I like Better Than Bullion). Once done, turn off heat and remove pot from heat source and dunk your seasoned steak to the bottom of the pot and cover with a lid!

Grab a bowl for your soup and a plate for your steak, pour a beer, scoop your veggie soup out, and a few minutes later, dig out your steak and top with worcestershire sauce.

Unbelievable.

Title reads, "Making a steak indoors" NOT "RUINING a steak indoors"...

I hate waking up to 3 quotes in my notification box on HBT all on the same thread and one's from Homercidal...

j/k

It's really good guys... No one likes Pho soup? This is similar but on a grand scale.

There is usually a period of about 6 weeks in Minnesota when grilling outside is not very practical (Jan-mid Feb). We use one of these at that time for grilling steaks, chicken, ribs, etc. The heat generated doesn't go to waster either in the winter. We also make a mean rotisserie Prime Rib at Easter w/ family.

Still cleaning involved but a lot easier than a GF grill (we still have one that we've used once 7 years ago).

812zHxzLdqL__SL1500_.jpg

I hate waking up to 3 quotes in my notification box on HBT all on the same thread and one's from Homercidal...

j/k

It's really good guys... No one likes Pho soup? This is similar but on a grand scale.

I was gonna mention pho, but I don't think of beef as "steak" in that sense.

There's something to boiling meat in certain cases (like soup) and if anyone disagrees than they clearly cannot be the pho king.

I can't believe the closest we got to combining home brew and steak cooking was someone suggesting using a ferm chamber temp controller on a sous vide rig.

The answer is RIMS or HERMS. You can mash in it, you can sous vide a ****-ton of food in it. Amirite?? Hell, if the post-sous vide sear raises temp enough / if you're mashing particularly high and long, you might be able to cook chicken breasts inside of a mash!

If you're really craving steak, get yourself a top sirloin (~2 lbs), marinate overnight with some soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and a 1/4 cup whiskey.

Turn on your broiler, put the rack on the highest slot, and broil for 5 mins on each side. This'll be medium-ish rare (closer to rare, but still done).

OR if you want to cook it with some flare (no marinating needed):

Rub with garlic, salt and pepper, heat skillet with oil to high heat, sear for 4 minutes on one side, 4 minutes on the other.

Set steak aside and let rest.

Chop up some shallots, throw in pan, stir until tender, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup whiskey and light with a BBQ grill lighter. Flames will ensue.

When the fire is out, add 1/4 stick of butter, brown sugar and a small splash of vinegar, reduce until thickened. Slice meat, pour sauce over.

Just had four beers and read this. Drooling like a stroke victim. Gotta try this out

Truly, a thing of beauty.

I am drooling... and I am still full from dinner!

I shouldn't have gotten involved in a thread about "cooking steak". Mine usually doesn't meet that qualification when it hits my plate!!

Good thread though.

I have one of these:
814vjqHpeIL._SL1500_.jpg
I prefer coals but this thing does ok for inside. Makes the house smell nice for a while.

A decent (and faster) alternative to sous vide is to bake at as low a temperature as you can tolerate (300 is okay, 250 is better) until the interior temperature is about 100 F. Rest a bit. Sear on a criminally hot cast-iron pan. Use ventilation. Rest more.

Both this and sous vide really are best with thick steaks. The thicker it is, the more searing you can do without heating up the interior too much. With baking, searing can be done very fast, as the surface of the steak is already warm and dry.

If you can't grill it then the reverse sear is the way to go. And don't marinate that perfect piece of meat. Just use some salt and pepper or some lowerys seasoning salt.

A decent (and faster) alternative to sous vide is to bake at as low a temperature as you can tolerate (300 is okay, 250 is better) until the interior temperature is about 100 F. Rest a bit. Sear on a criminally hot cast-iron pan. Use ventilation. Rest more.

Both this and sous vide really are best with thick steaks. The thicker it is, the more searing you can do without heating up the interior too much. With baking, searing can be done very fast, as the surface of the steak is already warm and dry.

The one time I tried sous vide by means of my RIMS, I found that the sear cooked it farther than I intended. Suppose you can always go lower temp on the sous vide too.

Which is what I was going to try...but I had double-seal ziploc baggies for the steaks, and while it seems no juices got out that I could tell, there was still an odor when cooking, and I swore my silicone hoses smelled "steaky" for the next brew.

Then again, steak beer.

Back