To Secondary or Not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemist308

Reaction score
I'm brewing a 1.038 OG stout--don't laff I was trying to go for something lighter and missed my gravity a little :eek: The question is should I put this in a secondary fermenter after a week since I'm going to bottle condition it and drink as soon as carbonated anyway?

Will a secondary fermenter help it to reach an acceptable taste sooner or will it just make for a more clear beer that's going to be black as coal and consumed by mid March anyway?

No don't bother with a secondary, it won't do anything for that beer. There are a sh!tload of threads about using a secondary. I would encourage you to check them out but the general consensus is that a secondary is rarely necessary.

I'd vote to NOT use a secondary. Just let it sit a while longer. It will be fine. Watch your hydrometer and bottle when ready. Carbonate 2-3 weeks. Enjoy. . . . !

NRS

Back