Sorachi Ace in Wit: Works well!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jds

Reaction score
I brewed up a belgian wit at the end of April, based loosely on the AHS Blue Moon clone, but using Sorachi Ace exclusively for hops. After brewing and kegging, this turned out to be quite good. Here's the recipe:

Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Sorachi Wit
Brewer: Joe S
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Witbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (40.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal      
Boil Size: 8.54 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 14.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 79.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
8.0 oz        Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)                      Adjunct      4.76 %        
5 lbs         Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)             Grain        47.62 %       
3 lbs         Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)                   Grain        28.57 %       
1 lbs         Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)                    Grain        9.52 %        
1 lbs         White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)                Grain        9.52 %        
0.25 oz       Sorachi Ace [14.00 %]  (60 min)           Hops         11.8 IBU      
0.25 oz       Sorachi Ace [14.00 %]  (15 min)           Hops         3.1 IBU       
0.20 oz       Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min)        Misc                       
0.40 oz       Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)             Misc                       
1.00 oz       Tangerine Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min)      Misc                       
2.00 tsp      Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)                Misc                       
1 Pkgs        Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) [StarYeast-Wheat                

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
80 min        Mash In            Add 13.13 qt of water at 165.9 F    154.0 F       

Notes:
------
Preheated strike water to 172F, added to cooler MLT.  Grain was at 72.5 F.  Adjusted strike twmp with ~1 pint of hose-temp water, to 153.9 strike.  Mash was closer to 80 minutes, due to time to heat sparge water.

Sparge water heated to 175 for first sparge, no boost in between sparges.  Wort ran very easily, probably due to the rice hulls.  Had to recirc the first runnings 100% to get it to clear.

Three sparges to collect 8.5 gallons of runnings.  Grav. measured at 1.020 @ 139 F, which is 1.036.  This gives efficency around 79%.  Not bad, eh?

Boiled down to 6.0 gallons of 1.048 wort. over 90 minutes, additions per schedule.  Note that loss was 1.5 gallons over 90 minutes, or about 1 GPH.  Keep this in mind for future brews.  Chilled, pitched yeast, and waiting for action in fermenter.

Note:  Persistent, Rocky, Oily head throughout ferment.  It was still present on May 5, when I racked and transferred to keg.  This still needs a few weeks in the keg to be ready to drink.

dough-in at 9:30 AM, done and washed about 2:30 PM.

Ready for drinking in mid-may, about four weeks from brewing.  "lemon" flavor from Sorachi Ace hops is present, but subdued, not overpowering at all.  There was a fairly sulfurous odor from the beer upon kegging, and it persisted through the first couple of pints, which were hazy, with lots of suspended yeast.  later pints have been clearer, but with pronounced chill haze.  Flavor is somewhat spicy and phenolic, but with enough tart citrus notes to balance it.  While wit isn't my most favorite style, this one is certainly drinkable and refreshing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View attachment Sorachi_wit.bsm

Man I want to get some of these hops to play with. I've heard the 'lemon-yness' of them is awesome.

Why not put this in the recipe database so it'll be in your pulldown??

i hated the lemonyness of them myself, but could see how that would go well in a wit. i tried a light house beer and only used them for bittering, but it was just too overpoweringly le-maniacal.

Man I want to get some of these hops to play with. I've heard the 'lemon-yness' of them is awesome.

Why not put this in the recipe database so it'll be in your pulldown??
Perhaps I will. I've been waiting to see how it ages, and how well it goes over with other drinkers. If both go well, then I'll add it to my pulldown.
[edit]The 4th of July picnic-goers LOVED this beer, so I added it to the database. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=740327#post740327[/edit]

i hated the lemonyness of them myself, but could see how that would go well in a wit. i tried a light house beer and only used them for bittering, but it was just too overpoweringly le-maniacal.

They're not something I would use in an IPA, due to the heavy citrus flavor, but I can see them working well in wits and hefes, where you want the citrus character. Sorachi won't be replacing the super-C's (like Columbus) anytime soon, but it does have its place.

I converted this into a partial mash. Here is what I came up with.

3.50 lb Wheat Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 38.89 %
1.50 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 16.67 %
1.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
1.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
0.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 5.56 %
0.25 oz Sorachi Ace [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 8.0 IBU
0.25 oz Sorachi Ace [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
plus the peel additions.

I actually like it better than the AHS BlueMoon clone I brewed. I can't taste the lemon until the aftertaste. its nice.

The lemony-ness is why I think SWMBO would love a simple wheat-based recipe with clean yeast and Sorachi. She talks a lot about getting radlers in Germany, and I suspect that lemon flavor might finally produce a beer of mine that she'll be excited about.

im getting ready to brew a lemon wheat beer. I have vodka soaked lemon peels and was thinking about adding sorachi to further add lemon flavor. Would you change anything from the original hop schedule?

Back