Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity and sulphur

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gduck

Reaction score
So I have a simple brew going with the Wyeast 3787 and it's fermenting like a champ, but I am surprised by how much sulphur it's throwing off. I've never had this strong of a sulphur smell from an ale yeast before. I'm not worried about it, I know the sulphur will dissapate. I'm just wondering if others have experienced it with this yeast?

My other thought is this is my first time using my new fermentation chamber so I'm wondering if being in that box is concentrating the sulphur aroma making it much more noticeable than it would otherwise be.

Brewing Patersbier from NB with 3787. This stuff is a beast, had at least a 6inch krausen in my BB with blow off tube. I also noticed the strong sulfur being thrown off and it's in a large open room!

Yeah, the fermentation definitely took right off and I thought I might need to switch over to a blow off tube. There was decent headspace but that krausen went right up to the neck of the carboy. Crazy stuff. I'm excited to see how this one turns out. Pretty generic brew we're doing for our club to barrel age so I might have to try it again with a couple of my own Belgian recipes to see what it does.

Fermentation temps? I've done 4 brews with 3787 and so far no sulphur (Tripel, Patersbier, Tripel, Dubbel). I usually start at 64 and work my way up to 70 to finish dry. Also did you pitch a decent starter?

Beast is an understatement. I blew the top on both the 2nd Tripel and the most recent one, the Dubbel. Both had Fermcap S added prior to the yeast pitch.

It is fermenting at 65F. I pitched a 2L starter in to it that was crashes a couple days before brewing and then decanted prior to pitching.

I'm using 3787 for the 1st time in a Patersbier. I noticed the same sulfur smell and was wondering about it. From the responses it appears to be normal for this yeast.

Started fermentation at 62-63. Beginning 3 days after the start of fermentation began slowly ramping to 70, where it now sits. I did not use a starter given the low OG.

I had a 1L starter for my patersbier, pitched every bit of it, wort and all. My ferm temps were started at 68-70F so i'm sure i hit up the high of 75F. I may just pitch a tripel onto this. How did the tripel do with this solbes??

The tripel w/ Patersbier cake did quite well. 1.080 OG down to 1.006 FG in a couple of weeks. I've only had 2 so far and they were okay. About 3 months in the bottle at that time. I dropped 2 bottles into the fridge about a week ago to try again. But I probably won't open them for another few weeks.

The extract tripel I brewed in Feb of 2011 is very tasty, so I have big hopes for the Carmelite tripel as well given some aging.

Using it for the first time in a Golden Strong. Total egg bomb. Reeks beautifully.

This yeast has proven to be my longest ferment ever. It's been going for 13 days. I did a gravity check last night and almost broke my hydrometer when it plummeted like a rock to the bottom of my glass cylindrical.

FG = 1.002, and it's still showing visible signs of activity. I've never hit anything that low before. It's kinda cool. And kinda fortuitous as well, b/c I got 58% efficiency into the kettle and missed my OG gravity by 7 or 8 points on the low side. So, at least my target ABV wasn't affected. :drunk:

Yeah, for me it was a bit of a slow ferment but finished low (1.004). Only Wyeast 3711 has been as attenuative for me before this (once got an apparent 1.000 from 3711... Really dry beer, tasted awesome).

Back