wyeast Berliner Wiesse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxmarie90

Reaction score
Does Wyeast Berliner yeast contain Brett or is just lactobicillus.(please excuse the spelling) I wa sgiven a packet and am thing about brewing it but I don't want Brett anywhere near my equipment.

Wyeast doesn't have a Berliner yeast that I know of. What's the number on the package? I believe Lacto will act the same way as brett when it comes to your equipment though.

Like Southern Comfort, I don't know of a Wyeast strain that is specifically for Berliner Wiesse. That said, if you've found a yeast that is designed for Berliner Weisse, it definitely contains SOME kind of souring bugs (lacto, pedio, and/or bret, I would guess.)

There's no reason to worry that the souring bugs will "jump" from one fermenter to the other - any more than yeasts do. But you should replace any plastic components that the bugs touch, or dedicate them exclusively to sour fermentations in the future.

They had a seasonal release that did have some brett in it- I think it was 3191? I just bottled it a couple of days ago.

Yes, their BW blend does have brett. I brewed one this spring with this and it was the best beer I've ever made. I think the bigger problem is that they haven't made this since Aug 2010 and since it's designed to have the organisms in a specific ratio that'll be thrown way off because of the age. I actually pitched two packs because they were 8 months old. Also, don't fear the brett, dedicated plastic's cheap.

Latest posts

Back