WLP099 "High Gravity Yeast"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjackson

Reaction score
Anyone with a lot of experiences? I have two beers that will receive it today, each getting 800ML via an overnight starter.

Barleywine @ 1.110 OG w/ 1098 British Ale Yeast + Starter. Two Months later, it's sitting at 1.035 and VERY sweet.
Stout @ 1.129 OG w/ 2 packs of US05 + Starter. One Month later, it's at 1.030 FG and tastes really great but still too sweet.

I figured that with the high gravity, I'd pitch at 68-70F, stir up the carboy a bit and add a bit more oxygen to the wort via a paddle and then recap and wait another 60 days.

I want to avoid ethanol tastes so I did let the yeasts go pretty long. I probably could let the stout go longer, but I only have 1 vial of the high gravity.

Any advice? should I not oxygenate? should I let the 099 go longer than 2 months? Should I rack both of those to secondary instead of just pitching the 099?

Thanks.

I don't have a ton of 099 experience, but I've used it enough to believe an appropriately sized starter is a good idea, and once pitched to be patient and let it run to conclusion - which could take awhile. The last barley wine I did went from an aggregate OG of over 1.160 down to 1.015 - with the last ~15 points due to the 099 and a couple of months sitting in the cellar around 65°F.

If you use a good sized starter I don't think you need to risk potential down-side issues with a second oxygenation...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back