Scotch Ales with Extracts (Noonan)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beartooth91

Reaction score
Has anyone tried brewing a wee heavy with extracts only? In Noonan's book he lists a "1991 120 Shilling Wee Heavy" recipe using 13.2 lbs of LME and 1 oz of roasted barley. A few pages prior, in the "Notes to Recipes" chapter he makes the following points:
1. For extracts, he recommends 50-60% of a light extract and 40-50% amber extract.
2. For standard mashing, if brown and amber malts aren't available, use 15-20% Munich malt.
3. Caramel or Crystal malts can be used instead of the long boil for kettle carmelization.

So, it occurs to me the Briess amber extract has some Munich in it. I had thought about a recipe using 6.6 lbs of the Briess Golden LME and 6.6 lbs Briess Amber LME with 1-2 oz of roasted barley, and boiling the h*ll out of it for the carmelization. My local home brew store owner kinda dissuaded me last year from this indicating the beer might not be complex enough with just these simple ingredients.

Back