Primary warmer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunk

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The guy that lived in our house before us used the basement for wine making. So I have a nice set up with minor changes for my beer making but it is cold. The room has been walled in and right now is around 50 degrees. In the summer I would be fine since it reaches 60-65, but what exactly should I do in the winter? I put a 100 watt bulb in the room but it only raised it about 1 degree over 2 hours. Any suggestions that are not too expensive would be great.

You can get a ferm wrap for about $35, or use a small heating pad. Keep an eye on your temps, though, if you're not going to hook them up to a thermostat.

My basement averages around 52F in the winter. I use a large plastic tub full of water, a 100W aquarium heater, and a tiny water pump from Harbor Freight. (This idea was shamelessly stolen/adopted from somewhere on HBT.) Works great. Right now I have a porter in secondary holding steady at 68F. I also use if for bottle conditioning (carbonation) because my house is too cold.

I had to try a couple of times to get a decent aquarium heater. Now I'm using a "Marineland Stealth", the cheaper ones have thermostats that fail.

The tiny pump makes a huge difference. Without it, temps would vary by a few degrees around the tub. With it, everythings constant.

One other thing, wrap the tub in a blanket, set it on something non-concrete (e.g. carboard), and cover it the best you can.

My old house is nice, but never warm. One of these days, I'll take advantage of my cold basement for a bock...

Latest posts

Back