Stupid mistake.... Question on storage of all-grain kit....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taoist

Reaction score
I am new to the craft.... So new in fact that I have not brewed my first batch yet! :D

I was a little under the influence the other night when I was purchasing some of the equipment and I also bought my first couple of kits from an online supplier.... I only made one mistake.

One of the kits that I bought was a "Premium All Grain Beer Kit" from Brew House (Stout). (The numbers below "stout" are 20070914D, which I assume is the production date.)

I have read enough material here and elsewhere to know that I am not ready to begin all grain brewing until I get a few extract brews under my belt (plus I don't have the additional equipment for AG either), so my questions are thus:

How should I store the all grain kit until I am ready to move up?

How long will it keep?

Should I just sell it here or on eBay now and buy another kit when I am ready to go AG?

Thanks for the advice.

If the grains are uncracked store them in a cool dry place. Put the hops and yeast in the fridge. If the hops are sealed in an oxygen barrier bag they'll be fine. You'll probably want to make a starter to revive the yeast when you're finally ready to brew with it. Everything should be good for at least another year if stored properly. You could also just divide up the ingredients and use them with your other extract recipes now.

Thanks for the advice.

However, when I opened the package, it wasn't what I expected. It only contained a bag of premixed, ready-made wort and packets of yeast and a ph adjuster.... I suppose this "kit" doesn't even require me to boil the wort, as it appears to be pre-made.

I guess all I need is the rubber bung for the carboy. I may be off and running this weekend.... :rockin:

Back