Carboy size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drevilz4l

Reaction score
I was considering making Joes ANcient Mead. Its a 1 gallon recipie,but all I have is a 5 gallon carboy. Will this effect anything, such as the amount of mead I will be able to siphon off the yeast sediment. THanks.

Not a very good idea having all that extra head space. Look around your local stores for apple cider in gallon jugs, that's what I use.

If you read through the post someone did try to make the 1gal recipe a 5 gallon recipe and it tasted like orange rinds. If you did it I would not multiply the amount of oranges by 5.....read through the thread or do a search on 5 gallons in it.

I would not risk it though. Compaired to other wines; Honey wine is very expensive to make.....mucking up a 5 gallon batch would surely piss me off ;)

I just went to the store and got a big 1gal bottle of cheap wine that comes in glass bottles...cant remember the name but it was Sangria. Cost me $12 and a hangover. I just used my normaly plug/airlock with it.

david_42 said:
Not a very good idea having all that extra head space. Look around your local stores for apple cider in gallon jugs, that's what I use.

Yeah. Whole Foods sells 1 gallon jugs of apple juice for $5-6. The juice is actually very good and you have a great jug at the end. I use mine for starters and washing yeast. If you buy them from a homebrew shop you will pay almost that much.

I should go into business drinking juice and selling the jugs.

my LHBS also sells the gallon size 'cider' jugs for like $5 or so.

you can probably find some really really cheap wine in green jugs too.

Thanks for the ideas. I like the 1 gallon wine bottle idea alot, I think the airlock for a beer bottle will fit perfectly.

Latest posts

Back