Increasing wort boil amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerandguitars

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have completed two recipe kits (both partial mash kits) now and am venturing off into my own recipes next. I have noticed the amount of wort boiled is usually much less than the actual amount of beer produced (by adding water later to the fermenting bucket) for say a 5 gallon batch.

What would happen to the beer if you increased the amount of liquid boiled in the beginning and reduced the amount needed to fill to 5 gallons later?

Would the beer have more flavor since more water is boiled with the extracts and grains? Would there be more body to the beer?

Any help is much appreciated and I am probably going to go partial mash again. Thanks!

Increasing the boil volume results in increased hop utilization and more bitterness, of course, when you add the hops and late additions to the recipe also affect the final IBU.

Back