What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bridge port 1 30th anniversary IPA. It tasted like skunky, beefy malt liquor of an IPA. I drank one bottle after I already had a few beers in me and didn't care for it. I tried drinking a second one last night and I couldn't even get through half of it. It was giving me rot gut as if I was drinking King Cobra malt liquor and had to dump it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

The beer distributor delivery man told us that the old beer goes to die at big lot stores like SAMs club. Grocery stores have the fresh beer. We had this conversation after complaining about a popular German beer that we used to like.
Yvette

Too bad you never see SN Bigfoot for sale there in quantity for $20 bucks a case. They rarely have anything I would give my dog. Seriously, my dog is a picky drinker.:drunk:

Too bad you never see SN Bigfoot for sale there in quantity for $20 bucks a case. They rarely have anything I would give my dog. Seriously, my dog is a picky drinker.:drunk:

I picked up a Firestone Walker variety case at Costco yesterday. The Union Jack I had last night was bottled on 3/20/14, so it is a pretty fresh case.

I picked up a Firestone Walker variety case at Costco yesterday. The Union Jack I had last night was bottled on 3/20/14, so it is a pretty fresh case.

Plus you live in CA basically down the street from the brewery. I've seen clown shoes hoppy feet well over a year old and still sitting on the self.

I have been to over three hundred breweries in the US and abroad and the two stand outs are:

Mash 4077 (brewery unknown)
Stella (Egyptian Beer) This one was funny, the first tasted interesting and we thought it was good, but as you drank it got sweeter and sweeter, I could not finsh the second bottle.

It's called madcat the whole line of beers taste the same... Aluminum with a hint of a bud light flavor

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Stone Crime. Terrible terrible beer, in a nice bottle.

Tastes like pepper jack cheese. :cross:

Stone - Crime is a horror show of impossible heat and chemical ickyness. Gross. I wish it tasted like pepper jack cheese, that would have been an improvement.

Plus you live in CA basically down the street from the brewery. I've seen clown shoes hoppy feet well over a year old and still sitting on the self.

True. I live 94 miles from the brewery and have sadly never stepped in the door. Every time I drive by, I am in a hurry to get to the beach or to get back :-(

Saint Somewhere, Saison Athene...

I had it at a party and loved it. I bought a case and it is so bad. Horribly phenolic, high fusel alcohols in it.... It has almost been a year and only had 3 out of it, trying to see if the flavor develops due to the other microbes in it.

I wont be buying anything from them ever again.

A few come to mind quickly:

-U.S. Pale Ale from Capital Brewery in Madison, WI
-Anything by Tyranena Brewing in Lake Mills, WI
-Cut Throat Pale Ale by Finch's in Chicago, IL

I had some horrid beer in Lake Placid. The owner/Brewer was very proud of a pale ale that he drank along side us that was obviously infected, terribly tart and phenolic. He also was lecturing us on how Cascade was the newest up and coming hop. I don't understand how some people get into certain businesses...

I had some horrid beer in Lake Placid. The owner/Brewer was very proud of a pale ale that he drank along side us that was obviously infected, terribly tart and phenolic. He also was lecturing us on how Cascade was the newest up and coming hop. I don't understand how some people get into certain businesses...

You should have told him about this little brewery up in northern California that makes a pale ale with Cascade...

What's the name? Sierra Madre? Santa Nevada? Something like that?

the other day i had victory swing session saison and it was the worst of all!! it tasted like soap.. i enjoy my saison but this one was horrible i took a few sips and dumped it down the drain.

You should have told him about this little brewery up in northern California that makes a pale ale with Cascade...

What's the name? Sierra Madre? Santa Nevada? Something like that?

They brew what, 800,000 barrels a year of that pale ale? Would you really expect someone in New York to recognize such a small-scale operation? That would be like expecting someone in southwest China to recognize Tsingtao, a little local brewery up in the northeast of the country. Sure, they might have heard of it, but it's hardly likely.
:ban:

I got Rhizing Bines at a Spec's in Houston, in January of this year. Didn't check the date on the bottle at first and nearly spit out the first gulp.

Saint Somewhere, Saison Athene...

I had it at a party and loved it. I bought a case and it is so bad. Horribly phenolic, high fusel alcohols in it.... It has almost been a year and only had 3 out of it, trying to see if the flavor develops due to the other microbes in it.

I wont be buying anything from them ever again.

Never had anything from them directly, but I like Prairie Somewhere which is a collaboration with Prairie Ales. I actually think I still have 2 bottles in storage right now.

Blueberry wheat? Haven't seen it yet. Their blackberry wheat is one if the reasons I stopped drinking garbage. Do I like it now? Meh. Also, I have yet to try a decent blueberry beer...I just don't think it's meant to be. Right now, long trails big winner is limbo IMHO

Green mountain high!

I stand corrected. It was the Blackberry Wheat. Normally like Long Trail. Been there many times and recommend it highly. There still might be one of them hiding in the back of fridge in the Stratton house.

Cut throat? Granted its got a different profile, but worst?

When I first took a sip, I was surprised...then I took another, and another, and I couldn't believe how horrible it was. I figured it may have been a problem with the tap line or keg, but this was at a respected "beer bar" where they are very particular about their beers and presentation. I asked the bartender, he told me it "looked fine", then poured me a second glass, which was just as bad.

I didn't want to be "that guy" who hates the beer, but this was either an absolute horrible beer, or there was something wrong with it. I haven't found it necessary to try another to see, but guessing from the place I ordered it at, I'm going to assume it was just a really bad beer. Maybe I'm wrong.

NOTE: I can and will drink any beer, but I couldn't get a quarter of the way into the pint.

I had a nasty beer in Dallas Texas once - I dont remember the name as it's been over ten years ago - but it tasted like it had beef bullion in it....

<GAG>

I have only poured out 2 beers. One was Terrapin's/ Spike & Jérôme's Collaboration Ale. A most gawd awful sour and Huebert brewing Co. Deep Deuce Porter. It had to have been infected. It had a terrible metallic taste.

Ale Des Dieux Biere De Garde by Hermitage Brewing Co. With a name like that it had to be awesome! It was one of the most awful things I have ever tasted... I'm sure I've had worse craft beers, but for a beer that came in a 750ml bottle with a champagne cork and everything, it is the first thing that came to mind for "worst craft beer I've had." I hoped it would be decent at the very least, but it was nearly undrinkable. I would rather have a King Cobra.

I have only poured out 2 beers. One was Terrapin's/ Spike & Jérôme's Collaboration Ale. A most gawd awful sour and Huebert brewing Co. Deep Deuce Porter. It had to have been infected. It had a terrible metallic taste.

Terrapin's recent collaboration with Quest brewing was pretty bad. All I tasted was diacetyl. I'm glad it was in a flight or I'd never have finished it.

Picked out a build-your-own-6-pack yesterday, and tried one of them, Founder's Curmudgeon Old Ale, with molasses and oak. I couldn't get through it, try as I may. It tasted like a collision between astringent bitter and cloying sweetness. The bitterness was more like a metallic zing, and it stood in stark contrast to the syrupy sweetness. I tried to give it a chance, letting it sit and warm a few minutes, then taking another sip, and again. I got about 1/3 the way through the glass and just could not continue.

Glad I only bought one.

Sam Adams Porch Rocker. Tastes like a lemon has its way with a bottle of pledge and this is their bastard child.

Sam Adams Porch Rocker. Tastes like a lemon has its way with a bottle of pledge and this is their bastard child.

Almost put a bottle of that into a 6-pack sampler, but happened to notice the "... with natural flavor added" and passed it over. Beer should have plenty of "natural flavor" already without adding any. Maybe they were trying to rescue a botched batch.

Yeah that was a terrible beer. It's just a lemon malt beverage, not even beer. At least I learned never to try any 'Shandy' or 'Radler' ever again.

Another reason why labels should have to have the Brewers Association style guideline name in giant letters on every bottle.

Dogfather Imperial Stout Aged in Bourbon Barrels.

At first I thought it was just too cold, so I let it warm a little. It got better, but then it became this beast of solvent alcohol and burn wood. I can imagine this beer being good after aging, but this bottle was already 7 months old.

Maybe it really needs a year or two of aging to become great? I say this because it seems to have won some awards and the overall consensus on Untappd was good.

Back