Can I Sub Different Crystal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montanaandy

Reaction score
I plan on brewing the Dogfish IPA clone Sun. but I forgot to pick up 1 lb Crystal 40L that the recipe calls for. I have 1/2 lb of Crystal 30-40L left over from a previous batch but then I also have 1/2 lb Crystal 70-80L from another batch. I can go to the LHBS to get 1 lb of the 40L but would rather not burn the gas/take the time is I don't have to. Can I combine these to make 1lb or am I going to end up with a Frankenstein beer flavor? Thanks, Montanaandy.

I wouldn't waste the gas. Base your recipe on the lovibond to get the equal to the recipe and I'm betting you won't taste the difference. Even if it's not the exact clone, it will still be good beer. :)

No problem, you won't be creating a Frankenstein beer. There are so many variables in brewing that I think your minor variation will not mean much. I do it all the time on the substitution thing rather than driving 20 minutes to pick up the exact ingredient. It is what makes the process interesting to me.

I'd say combine them. You'll get a slightly darker and maltier beer, but 1/2 lb in what probably is 12+ lbs of grains won't do tons. The SRM will go from 11.5 to 13.

Thanks guys. I was hoping that I could combine. Should turn out interesting. Happy brewing! Montanaandy

You can, but the beer will be darker, and have a different flavor.
If it were me, I would use the 1/2 lb 30 - 40, and 1/4 lb 70 - 80.

-a.

Back