ideal s.g. to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calabus

Reaction score
is there some sort of range i should shoot for as far as my specific gravity before bottling? don't want any bombs on my hands. think around 1.010 or so is good or should i wait a little longer? ale has been in secondary for about 16 days. o.g. was 1.052 @ 75. now it's 1.010 @ 66. any thoughts? moved it to a heat source and it's started bubbling ever so slightly after a couple of hours. thanks guys! :mug:

That's like 80% attenuation. I'd be surprised if it dropped any more than that. Make sure it's consistent over a few days and bottle it.

Welcome! The FG is really dependent on several things- the recipe, the OG, and the yeast strain you used. Still, if it's been at the same gravity for at least three days, and it's in the expected range, you'll all set.

Bubbling of the airlock doesn't really mean much. Temperature changes almost always cause the airlock to bubble, since the co2 inside is forced out by temperature changes. I've even seen it in reverse- the airlock liquid is "sucked back" into the fermenter if the temperature drops, or the barometric pressure drops. So, that's not a sign of fermentation at all.

The only other thought I have is that 75 degrees is pretty warm for most ales. What are you making?

It's going to depend on the recipe, yeast and other factors. There is no "ideal" that will work for all beers. Some will finish higher than others.

When it's done fermenting and had time to clear, it's ready to be bottled. When your hydrometer readings don't change for a few days or there hasn't been airlock activity for a few days, let it go for a few more days to clear and to give the yeast time to clean up any off flavors.

This might help:
How to Brew - By John Palmer - When to Bottle

cool... thanks guys! you asked about the temperature... the o.g. was taken right before i pitched the yeast and the wort was cooled to 75. i'll check it in a couple of days then since i'm dry hopping it too. oh yea, it's an amarillo amber ale. tried a little and damn, i can't wait! it's good!

Back