kegerator or keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouBrew13

Reaction score
I'm switching to kegs this summer and starting to collect the gear. Plusses and minuses would be appreciated. Thanks everybody.

Get a keezer if you can afford the space. I got a 2 tap kegerator, and I wish I had gone the other way.

My biggest problem right now is that I don't have a way to cool down my kegs before they go into the kegerator, so I'm stuck waiting a week or 2 (in theory) before I can taste what I put on tap.

Even if you only put 1 or 2 taps into a keezer you can expand it later and use the extra space for cold conditioning.

Upright freezer looks interesting. But a fridge and no temp controller would be nice too. Could buy a few kegs for that cost. It looks as though a keezer needs a collar too which could be a pain.

Keezer is a bit of work, but so is a kegerator. It just depends on what you want I guess.

I built (and love) my keezer, but if i did it all again I'd go kegerator. No condensation issues, easier to load/clean, less modifications required to dispense draft beer, better pouring height, no need for a temperature controller, smaller footprint, used fridges are cheap and commonplace...

Keezers are great, but I always recommend kegerators based on my own experiences. To each their own, as always.

I agree keezer is the way to go. You can just do so much more with a keezer.

One thing though, be sure to get at least 7.2 cu ft...

I have a two tap kegerator and will be switching to a keezer soon. Mind you, I have an apartment fridge, not full size, so getting two cornies in there with all the tubing and tank can be a pain. It hasn't been too bad, but I want to be able to have more than two beers on tap.

Well, I've gone fridge, freezer, fridge. Got four kegs in the first fridge, only three in the freezer (5.1 cf), and four in the new setup. Lifting kegs into the freezer, with a collar, is annoying; but with a fridge, I had to unload the front ones to replace a back one.

I like Don Osborn's kegerator conversion on you tube. Looks like I'll most likely do that. Thanks guys.

I've got 2 chest freezers and a full-sized fridge without a freezer(SPACIOUS) that I've been trying to decide which to use for dispensing my kegged beer. I finally decided to go with the fridge and will be converting it this weekend(Santa brought me everything needed.) I'll post a pic of before and after when I get it all done. Might even throw in some during pics if I remember to snap any.

The "Before" pictures. After to come once I get home and snap a couple.

image-3054155162.jpg

image-2877754462.jpg

Pretty much the finished product. Yes there is bracing and room for the 4 corneys on the shelf. I have 3 more "aging" that will be in line very very soon though.

It works for me! CHEERS!

P.S. Sierra Madre and Chimay Grand Reserve in there now!! HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

image-3082042408.jpg

image-2704766656.jpg

image-3325443523.jpg

image-3297339489.jpg

All stocked up with bottles and yeasts in the crispers(I knew I'd figure a use for those!)

image-434307176.jpg

Back