How much slurry to use for starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

player2ma

Reaction score
How do you determine how much slurry to use for a starter? Mrmalty shows how much slurry to use to achieve the proper number of yeast cells for pitching, but does this take into account making a starter from your slurry?

How do you determine how much slurry to use for a starter? Mrmalty shows how much slurry to use to achieve the proper number of yeast cells for pitching, but does this take into account making a starter from your slurry?

I use Mr. Marlty to figure out how much I have and then Yeastcalc to figure out my starter steps.

Do you use Mrmalty to determine how viable the yeast in your slurry is? I'm confused as to what numbers I would input into the yeastcalc

Do you use Mrmalty to determine how viable the yeast in your slurry is? I'm confused as to what numbers I would input into the yeastcalc

Let's say you have 30mL of yeast solids from January 20th. This gives you around 2.6 billions cells per mL of viable yeast or 77 billion cells.

Put 77 billion cells into yeastcalc and it will tell you about starter steps. (For example a 1.3L starter will give you enough yeast for 5 gallons of 1.060 wort)

Well I've never done it, just thought it might be necessary due to the decrease in viability of the slurry over a relatively short period of time

Even after only 2 months it shows a viability of only 10%. Wouldn't you have to pitch a whole crap ton of slurry without making a starter?

Even after only 2 months it shows a viability of only 10%. Wouldn't you have to pitch a whole crap ton of slurry without making a starter?

Yeah, that's why I was asking. I usually re-pitch slurry on the same day I rack the original batch. Occasionally I re-pitch after storing the slurry in a fridge for a week or two. I assumed that if one were re-using slurry after a few months, they would have rinsed the yeast to start with--in which case you can just treat it like pitching liquid yeast.

woa, is the drop-off really that fast? i just harvested and washed some yeast this weekend, but i'm pretty sure i won't be using it for several months... almost seems pointless now.

i guess i could make a starter every month to keep the population healthy, but that seems kinda excessive. if i'm not going to use that yeast in the next 4 months, i'd be better off just buying a new smackpack when the time comes.

otherwise i might look into glycol & freezing.

anyone have any experience using 6+ month old harvested yeast?
EDIT: nevermind, did some searching, as expected the answers are all over the place - some say 6 weeks, others have used stuff from 6 months ago.

I just used 15.5 ml of 4 month old, 2nd generation wlp001 that was rated as 27% viable to make a starter for a 1.050 amber. I stepped it up twice over 5 days and I got great propagation. It started chugging like a freight train after about 5 hours of pitching it in my amber on saturday night. It's still going really strong at this minute. I'll wash it again and do it again, and again (about 7 times or so).. 10% viability will likely still work just fine if you step it up slowly over a few days..

Back