national homebrew day May 7th what's brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having a brew day/bottle day/beer tasting party. I am brewing up [Emma]rillo Wheat in honor of my niece Emma (at least that is the guessed name since my Brother isnt' revealing the name until she is born) who is being born sometime in June. I grew up in Amarillo, TX so it was too easy to take the name, our hometown, and the hops and do a clever play on words. Obviously this one is going to be hopped with Amarillo hops. Plus its just one more excuse to brew.

Planning an all Northern Brewer Black Ale for NHD. Doing the single hop thing to see what it has to offer.

playing around with the ideas of biermunchers swmbo slayer (again) or an IPA....

I'm brewing Denny Conn's Vanilla Porter. The first batch went way to fast! Such a great beer!

This Saturday is the adoption party for my in-law's former foster kid. Plus, my MIL has to move out of her house by the end of the month, so I doubt I'll be brewing this weekend.

But if I can get a thing or two done tonight, I might try and brew tomorrow after work. I got to brew up a nice stout. Some for a friend, and some for an experiment.

I just hope we can get my son's broken exhaust fixed in time to get a couple more things from the LHBS I need. Then,double brew day! My wife will be doing a BB summer ale. I'll be doing my next installment of my amber/pale ales. 11 gallons of beer,oh my!:mug:
Well,so much for that,as of now. Had to order the stuff I need from Midwest. But they are using Fed Ex,so maybe Saturday. I have gotten fast shipments from Fed Ex. Here's hopin...

Getting ready to move soon so I'll just be bottling my Honey Blonde Ale instead of brewing a new batch.

Brewing a hefe.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 5.13 %
5 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 48.72 %
4 lbs 12.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 46.15 %
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (20 min)Hops 4.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) [Yeast-Wheat

National Homebrew Day coincides with my 50th brew. I am going for a Duvel Green clone.
My first batch was a red ale, and I thought I might try that again, but it was boring. Imperial red ale? Hmm...

Rats!
Will have to wait to till next week! Wild Dog Days of Summer Ale!
I guess I'll just have to drink some of my last batch (Porter) to celebrate the day!!

Going to brew San Diego Session Dark Ale that is in the current Zymurgy, adapted to my system and available ingredients...

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.36 gal
Estimated OG: 1.041 SG
Estimated Color: 18.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
7 lbs Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain 73.44 %
12.50 oz Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.20 %
6.30 oz Biscuit (Dingemans) (22.5 SRM) Grain 4.13 %
6.30 oz Crystal Dark - 77L (Crisp) (75.0 SRM) Grain 4.13 %
6.30 oz Crystal Extra Dark - 120L (Crisp) (120.0 SGrain 4.13 %
6.30 oz Melanoidin (Weyermann) (30.0 SRM) Grain 4.13 %
2.80 oz Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (508.0 SRMGrain 1.84 %
7.37 gm Amarillo Gold [8.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
7.46 gm Simcoe [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
12.90 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
7.46 gm Warrior [17.00 %] (60 min) Hops 13.4 IBU
7.37 gm Simcoe [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
7.46 gm Simcoe [12.00 %] (15 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
3.73 gm Amarillo Gold [8.00 %] (10 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
3.73 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
1 Pkgs OAW Culture Yeast-Ale
Mash Schedule: My Mash TBD
Total Grain Weight: 152.50 oz
----------------------------

I'm also brewing my first wheat beer, a belgian wit.

I'm also going to do a gallon of skeeter pee on the slury from a cider I did with S-04 just to see how the pee comes out with an ale yeast.

My dad and I started experimenting with light and dark malts together. It is midway through fermentation. Calling it Frankenbeer.

Making a Scottish 90/- on Saturday.. LHBS is sponsoring/hosting the brew day, so it's even better (re: $40 worth of ingredients for free to me)...

Recipe calls for 10# MO, 1# British Crystal Malt II (65L), 1# honey malt, and either 2oz or 4oz of chocolate malt (~350L)... Plan on using .375oz target hops for bittering, then EKG for flavor and aroma additions (.5oz each)... Planned yeast is Wyeast 1318 London Ale III... Have already sent the email off to Wyeast asking what I'll get if it ferments in an ambient temp of 66F... Waiting for that answer. I would like a little bit of fruit flavor in the batch. If it's not going to give me any, then I'll probably change the yeast to something else. Possibly 1335 since I have some on hand.

I have never brewed one of the AHA big brew recipes, so I'm gonna try the English IPA this year. An IPA was next in line on my list anyways :).

I'm also brewing my first wheat beer, a belgian wit.

I'm also going to do a gallon of skeeter pee on the slury from a cider I did with S-04 just to see how the pee comes out with an ale yeast.

Mmmmm I love me some Belgian beer. I need to brew more Belgians this year. Are you going to do a protein rest (assuming its an all grain batch) in yours? I've never done one before and I'm curious about it.

Me and the SO will be trying to win an engagement ring in Kessler's race for the ring in Madison, so no brewing, but we will be cracking open our recently bottled sweet stout and my gluten free blueberry Weiss.

p.s. I would LOVE to know what the butterbeer recipe is too!

Here goes.

O.G.: 1.056
F.G.: 1.013
IBU: 15
SRM: 4.5

5 lb (2.3 kg) 2-Row Pale Malt (50%), 3 SRM
2 lb (0.91 kg) Wheat Malt (20%), 2 SRM
3 lb (1.4 kg) Flaked Soft White Wheat (30%), 2 SRM

Hops
1 oz. US Goldings 4.5%AA or Willamette 5.1% AA @ 60 minutes

I'll brew the whole batch together and split it at the end.

The first batch will ferment @ 70 degrees with WLP400 for 2 weeks and then be racked onto about 10lbs. of local Strawberries and a pound of Honey for another 2weeks before bottling.

For the second batch, towards the end of the boil, I'll make a tea with cracked Coriander and Amarillo leaf hops and add it to the boil pot after I remove the first 1/2. For this batch, I want to try the Fermentis S-33 and hold it @ 63 degrees. After 2 weeks in the primary, I'll rack it onto some fresh Lemon Basil for about 5 days, also warming it up to around 70 degrees and then bottle.

This should give me 2 completely different beers that will both be good for the summer.

Thoughts?

Bull

I plan on brewing saturday, i think im gonna do a honey pils.
19lb pilsner malt
1lb honey malt
8oz-1lb carapils (undecided)

I was thinking 1oz perle at 60 and finish with 1oz of centtenial or cascade. And iv got a smackpack of California lager wyeast. Should be interesting.

Mmmmm I love me some Belgian beer. I need to brew more Belgians this year. Are you going to do a protein rest (assuming its an all grain batch) in yours? I've never done one before and I'm curious about it.

Unfortunately I haven't figured out the best way for me to to full boils in my townhome so I haven't started doing AG yet but hopefully soon. I know what you mean about Belgians though, thems some tasty brews!

I plan on brewing saturday, i think im gonna do a honey pils.
19lb pilsner malt
1lb honey malt
8oz-1lb carapils (undecided)

I was thinking 1oz perle at 60 and finish with 1oz of centtenial or cascade. And iv got a smackpack of California lager wyeast. Should be interesting.

10 gallon batch?

Oh sorry, yah it is :D

You have your starter going already? :ban:

I'm making 5 gallons on Saturday... Not ready to lug 10 gallons to the ferementation room just yet...

I'll be using my newly modified kettle for this batch. Swapped out the brass ball valve for a 3 piece SS model. Made sure it's leak free (took longer than I had expected to get it done right on Sunday)... I changed the valve so that I could use the brass one in my older mash tun (swiped the valve from that one for my new 10 gallon RubberMaid cooler/MT)... This way I'll be able to use either cooler/mash tun at any point without needing to change parts between them.

this thread i have started is making me thirsty! i just started brewing a few months ago, it's truly amazing to me that so many people are into it. i don't drink as much beer as i used to, nowadays i have 1 or 2 and done, 10 years ago, average 6 or more, good thing i didn't know about home brewing then. lol. but i wasn't drinking good beer then, bud lite if you will. i have never tasted a beer as good as what i brew. this is a great hobby. God bless Jimmy Carter!! but i think he really did it for his brother, anyway, glad he signed that bill.

You have your starter going already? :ban:

I'm making 5 gallons on Saturday... Not ready to lug 10 gallons to the ferementation room just yet...

Not yet, i was gonna do it today, plenty of time on a stir plate. The starter for my last 10 gallons got less than 24 hours on the stirplate and i had airlock activity after 6 hours.

Sometimes i ferment in one of my sankes or split the batch between two carboys. Lugging around two 5 gallon carboys isnt to bad. My cellar is on the other side of the house so i know a little bit about lugging, and alot of the time its of the 100lbs sanke variety.

I did not know it was home brew day, but, by happy coincidence, I am bottling a batch of AHS Corona, and starting up a batch of Ginger Beer.

I have plans this weekend so I am brewing right now, 42 minutes left in the boil. It is a AHS Anniversary Stout and it smells damn good!

well instead of my pilsner urquell clone (ale form), i will be brewing an amber ale.
10 lb 2 row
2 lb amber
1 lb crystal 60
1 oz Northern brewer 60 min or first wort
1 oz saaz at 30 min
1 oz saaz at flameout
safale s-05
should get at least 6 gallon batch out of this.

I want to do a beer in honor of the death of Osama Bin Laden. It's going to be a rye IPA called "Double Tap to the Rye IPA." Recipe in development. Maybe a pale ale called "You Just Got F'd in the A-P-A."

gonna pitch a yeast cake from my drink'in the sunbelt clone into an arrogant bastard clone (jamil's, i think).

i love my hobby.

Just got an E-mail from Fed-Ex that my stuff from Midwest is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow!! Yeeeeaaaah!!:rockin::ban::tank:

National Homebrew Day is a good reason to brew some Pliny!

####

Recipe: Pliny the Elder
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Notes: I added 2-pounds of 2-row malt to the recipe to help improve BIAB efficiency.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.085 SG
Estimated Color: 8.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 149.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------