What to throw on the grill after a long brew day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't wrap 'em for the slow cook if your trying to get impart flavor from the smoking chips.

When I do ribs I use the rule of 3. First hour no tinfoil to get the smoke flavor. Second hr wrap in foil to let the juices cook with the meat. Third hour. No foil to let the meat set up. Works every time. As close to 225* as I can get since my hand is my thermometer. It's all over open flame.

Isn't it 3 hours unwrapped, 2 hours wrapped, then 1 hour unwrapped (or until done)?

I do 1 hr unwrapped 1hr wrapped then 1 more hr unwrapped.

So just finished eating my ribs, delicious and th best thing i have eaten in months.
I started by hitting them with the grill with smoking chips in my wee smoker box that sits over the flame. The got about 10 mins and teh wrapped up and cooked at 300 for an hous and a half, then back on the grill for 10.

300 was a bit high i think and there is aome room for improvement with my rub but overall a sucessful night on the grill.

Temp should definitely be lower, like 200F to 225F or so. Takes longer offset from the coals/wood, but more tender & flavorful. Patience in barbecuing is the same as brewing.

So just finished eating my ribs, delicious and th best thing i have eaten in months.

I started by hitting them with the grill with smoking chips in my wee smoker box that sits over the flame. The got about 10 mins and teh wrapped up and cooked at 300 for an hous and a half, then back on the grill for 10.

300 was a bit high i think and there is aome room for improvement with my rub but overall a sucessful night on the grill.

Glad your ribs turned out delicious. A little lower heat and you will see a great improvement. Some people like to mop their ribs every 10 minutes or so for the last 1/2 hr if you like wet ribs maybe that's for you.

Yeh i cant wait to do it again, i optedfor the higher temp as i started them after work so was a bit limitedfor time. Next time i will do them lower and slower, im already looking forward to it.

What are you mopping with? Keen to try some wet ribs next time

Anyone have a good vinegar based sauce?

1½ cups cider vinegar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

In a medium saucepan combine the sauce ingredients, including salt and pepper to taste, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.

I tend to go with a nice burger. Mix a little bit of A1 in with the meat, make the patty (1/2 lb), add salt and pepper, and cook to preference. Or hot dogs / brats, but you need to boil those in beer first, then toss on the grill to crisp them up a bit. Either way, it helps if you put a little butter on the buns then toast them on the grill away from direct heat.

A nice porterhouse w/ fresh corn & some zucchini all done in the grill. Don't forget the homebrew!!

1½ cups cider vinegar
Kosher salt

In a medium saucepan combine the sauce ingredients, including salt and pepper to taste, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.

Sounds simple and really good! Just what I was looking for.

I make a mop sauce from 1-12oz bottle of Cooper's English Bitter. Add two tsp onion powder, 1tsp garlic powder, a tablespoon or two of worcestershire sauce. Salt & black pepper to taste, maybe 1/2tsp red pepper. Cover & let sit in the fridge till the next day for better flavors. Great on barbecued beef as a mop sauce, but I've also used it on ribs & other pork cuts.

So you're going to brew, clean up, and then grill for a crowd? Probably after having a few pints during the brewday? In that case, complexity and long cooking times are not your friend.

Sausages. They're tasty, simple, and impossible to screw up if you follow Bob Uecker's method ("low and slow, turning often.")

Good fresh buns, grill some onions to go with them, make a fruit salad ahead of time, maybe grill some sweet corn or zucchini too.

1½ cups cider vinegar
Kosher salt

I like to use brown sugar when I make a vinegar based sauce.

So you're going to brew, clean up, and then grill for a crowd? Probably after having a few pints during the brewday? In that case, complexity and long cooking times are not your friend.

Sausages. They're tasty, simple, and impossible to screw up if you follow Bob Uecker's method ("low and slow, turning often.")

Good fresh buns, grill some onions to go with them, make a fruit salad ahead of time, maybe grill some sweet corn or zucchini too.

I agree wholeheartedly! We've been on a Hungarian sausage kick lately. We get'em fresh made from Polanski's meat market over in Amherst. Put some cottonwood or pin oak on the coals with the sausage offset. Cook them just till they start to get some color & the juices can be seen bubbling under the skin in places. Do not cook any further, or you'll loose the juices to hull breaches! :D
Grilled onions & mushrooms with grilled zuchini or the like is a light, tasty side for the juicy sausages that'll pop when you bite into them. Maybe an hour total for something tasty that a red ale or English bitter would go well with imo.:ban:

Back