Best Chicken Wings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barring another piece of equiptment I dont really have the room for and if I want them somewhat more quickly, could I use my oven?

Barring another piece of equiptment I dont really have the room for and if I want them somewhat more quickly, could I use my oven?

Maybe, but that would eff up your air conditioning bill somewhat. Dehydrators are cheap and don't take up much room.

They are great for jerky too.

If it is good and hot out and you have a space with some sun on a balcony or what-not you can lay them on a screen with a fan blowing on them. May take a couple sessions depending on the size of the pepper.

But dehydrators are the best tool for the job and not expensive, and you can make stuff like jerky, apple chips, dog treats, fruit roll-ups etc so they are well worth it

If you can't dry your own peppers, buy the dry peppers at the supermarket, toast and grind them into powder. Next best thing and these days you can find a lot of varieties of dried peppers if you know where to look

My scotch bonnet plants are putting out a ton of peppers this year (in Florida peppers are perennial so the plants I grew from seeds last year are still going strong) but I don't like to dry them because of the strong odor so I have just been making hot sauce or freezing them

If you want really crispy fried wings, after you dredge them in your flour mix let them sit in the fridge for 30 min. The moisture from the chicken is soaked up by the flour, then when you fry 'em, they are really crispy.:rockin:

Alton Brown's technique is a bit of a pain in the a$$ but works awesome with out frying.
Started picking some of my jalapeños peppers today, not as hot as last years but i'm happy;)

red chili flour-
50 lbs white flour
4 cups chili powder
4 cups paprika
4 cups salt
2 cups corn starch
===============================================
this is totally from memory of some sheitty bar i used to work at.
scale it down to w/e amount you like.
the place used it for their hot wings and onion rings/a few other apps as well.
HOT WING SAUCE
fill a blender with orange habenaros
add a small handfull of cilantro
add a few pinches of salt
add franks red hot (equal weight of the habs...roughly 12 oz)
blend till desired consistancy.
this sauce is my own recipe and not for the feint of heart (stomach)

Breaded some tenders with a flour, egg wash, corn starch regimen. I then doused them in a very basic mix of crystals and the Really hot El Yucateca XXX.

ForumRunner_20130701_195256.png

Freakishly delicious. The crust was crisp and un soggable....but....
The crust broke too easilly on the tenders. I liked it a lot, but it wasn't perfect.

ForumRunner_20130701_195313.png

I am thinking that the tenders should be pounded flat.

butterfly the chicken breasts that you cut into chicken tender strips and dunkem in buttermilk before your flour mixture

Breaded some tenders with a flour, egg wash, corn starch regimen. I then doused them in a very basic mix of crystals and the Really hot El Yucateca XXX.

View attachment 132528

Freakishly delicious. The crust was crisp and un soggable....but....
The crust broke too easilly on the tenders. I liked it a lot, but it wasn't perfect.

View attachment 132529

I am thinking that the tenders should be pounded flat.

Did you ever see that episode of Chappelle's show where Tyrone Biggums went on fear factor?

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread has made me crave chicken wings to the point I'm considering leaving work early to go whip up some wings! :D

I will check out that vid when I leave work HB.

Now I'm not so sure about corn starch on wings.

It would have to be a dusting so as not to be a "crust".

I wonder if a dusting would even be noticed.

While I like the idea of a dredge for wings, I have had success with just paper towelling the surface of the skin and dropping into the hot oil.

My sauce is usually butter and Franks with whatever spices/salt/pepper I was looking to play with. Get really crispy skin that way, though there is a "slough off" factor.

I have even pre-crisped the skin side of wings under a broiler before frying to get REALLY crispy.

I agree that they don't really need anything. i gues our corn starch conversation and some REALLY effing good buffalo chicken tenders I had recently got me thinking.

Are those corn cakes HB? Looks fantastic!

That's best cornbread! Recipe coming soon, I'm still tweaking it but I will tell you that the secret is the yellow cornmeal mix from Save-A-Lot in the blue bag along with some jalapeño and green chili powder from mild bill's.

On another note, I was planning to add some corn starch to the rub mix last night just to see what happened but we were out of it. :(

That's best cornbread! Recipe coming soon, I'm still tweaking it but I will tell you that the secret is the yellow cornmeal mix from Save-A-Lot in the blue bag along with some jalapeño and green chili powder from mild bill's.

On another note, I was planning to add some corn starch to the rub mix last night just to see what happened but we were out of it. :(

Yes please! Post the recipe.

I make some fantastic corn cakes!

I will dig up the recipe too.

Diced onion goes in mine. A little fresh corn never hurts.

Sizzling them in bacon grease never hurts either!

We finally got around to trying these out tonight. They were fantastic! I cooked them in my Stok kettle grill, cooking them with indirect heat at first. About 5 minutes after I put them on a big storm blew through and I had trouble keeping my temp, it actually fell down to about 250 for about the first 30 minutes or so. I also had big chunks of hickory smoking as well. The rest of dinner was about ready and the wings weren't due to the tough grilling conditions, so I moved them over to direct heat for 5 minutes on each side, and they actually ended up PERFECT. Internal temp was 200, they were super tender, juicy, the skins were crispy and they had a wonderful smokey flavor. We had them with jalapeno corn cakes and oven roasted veggies.

We finally got around to trying these out tonight. They were fantastic! I cooked them in my Stok kettle grill, cooking them with indirect heat at first. About 5 minutes after I put them on a big storm blew through and I had trouble keeping my temp, it actually fell down to about 250 for about the first 30 minutes or so. I also had big chunks of hickory smoking as well. The rest of dinner was about ready and the wings weren't due to the tough grilling conditions, so I moved them over to direct heat for 5 minutes on each side, and they actually ended up PERFECT. Internal temp was 200, they were super tender, juicy, the skins were crispy and they had a wonderful smokey flavor. We had them with jalapeno corn cakes and oven roasted veggies.

Those corn cakes look really good too! :mug:

Since we are posting pics... These hot wings were cooked indirect (high heat 350-400, blue kingsford and one chunk of apple at the beginning) on the grill to an IT of 160, then sauced and returned back to the grill maybe three times, then the last time they go direct to get some char, then get dunked one last time before plating. My only adaptation to the APL recipe is I use a heaping tablespoon of fresh minced garlic in the sauce. You can see the bits, I love the huge garlic flavor. The whole process for me takes almost three hours but damn those suckers are great!

Wings.jpg

Since we are posting pics... These hot wings were cooked indirect (high heat 350-400, blue kingsford and one chunk of apple at the beginning) on the grill to an IT of 160, then sauced and returned back to the grill maybe three times, then the last time they go direct to get some char, then get dunked one last time before plating. My only adaptation to the APL recipe is I use a heaping tablespoon of fresh minced garlic in the sauce. You can see the bits, I love the huge garlic flavor. The whole process for me takes almost three hours but damn those suckers are great!

OMG that looks yummy

The base recipe is from Adam Perry Lang, in a book called Serious Eats. Here is the recipe in the blog of a guy I know. http://thehogblog.com/?p=1062 I do not cook my wings in the pan, I find that if you let it go too long, the wings fall apart from being overcooked. They go straight on the grate. However, using the recipe is a good start then tweak it to your liking. Like me using so much chopped garlic.

if i coat wings in flour than put them in the smoker, will that work? do you need to use the oven for flour?

I would think you would need some oil either way.......maybe not.

Safe temp for chicken is 165F if I recall. 200 is overcooked.

oh no, if you shake and bake wings with flour, they come out awesome, like fried wings. I dont know if the smoker gets hot enough for the flour though

20100205-baked-buffalo-wings-baking-powder-compare.jpg

Agreed melana. My grilled jerk wings will match up against ANY fried wings.
Not saying that they are better than any fried wing ever, just that you are a fool if you miss out on them over such a silly generalization.....

Back