new plastic for Berliner Weisse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdwardPaulsen

Reaction score
Hi,
I know it is standard to use a different set of soft brewing materials (plastic, rubber) for lambic/bret blends, but are the same precautions necessary for lactobacillus as in a Berliner Weisse?
Thanks!
Ed

Im actually gonna transfer my porter into my plastc bucket so I can put the berlinerwiesser in to a glass carboy to ferment.... paranoia is your freind :)

The choice is yours. I work with the bugs pretty frequently - and use the same equipment to transfer both sour and non-sour beers. Hit your equipment with a a bleach solution and stay on top of your sanitation regimen, and you shouldn't have a problem.

I'm planning to buy one of those plastic flower boxes to soak my racking cane after using it to rack the bugs, and I have a spare siphon hose I'll reserve for the bugs. I'm using a bucket reserved for sours on one side and a glass carboy for the other half. The bungs I'll label to use for sours only since they're cheap, why not. The hard plastic airlocks I'm not worried about. I'm bottling all sours since I don't want to worry about contamination of my kegging equipment.

Latest posts

Back