Hydrometer Reads and Hop Particles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbarning

Reaction score
I have been doing hydro tests with leftover wort following the transfer to the primary. Usually, I end up getting some hop particles in my sample tube. I wouldn't think it would matter but can someone confirm that this should not effect my result?

I overshot my OG by 13 points the other day with no significant change to my procedure. I wouldn't mind an efficiency improvement, so long as it is consistent, but would hate to get false readings due to particles in the sample tube.

In case this requires more detail I should note that I mashed slightly higher than normal, due to the ale style. That was really the only change. Same water, same water treatment, same equipment, same grains, etc.

Hop particles shouldn't affect the reading. Maybe something weird would happen if they clung to the hydrometer and the wall of the sample jar, but overall the hydrometer only measures what's dissolved in solution.

Just let it sit for 20 minutes before calling it.

I can't really help you on the improved efficiency, but I highly recommend taking a hydro reading after lauter and sparge so you'll have an idea what's going on before the boil. If your efficiency was better, you just get to make more beer! But also you'll have to adjust your hops.

Hop particles shouldn't affect the reading. Maybe something weird would happen if they clung to the hydrometer and the wall of the sample jar, but overall the hydrometer only measures what's dissolved in solution.

Just let it sit for 20 minutes before calling it.

I can't really help you on the improved efficiency, but I highly recommend taking a hydro reading after lauter and sparge so you'll have an idea what's going on before the boil. If your efficiency was better, you just get to make more beer! But also you'll have to adjust your hops.

Are you saying the hydrometer should sit for 20 minutes before considering the reading to be final? Thanks!

Well, just to make sure any of the hop gunk isn't sticking to it.

But I usually end up grabbing a small sample and setting it aside while I do some other cleaning and forget for at least 20 minutes. At the very least, it lets some of the trub settle to the bottom and I'm more confident that nothing is sticking to the hydrometer and my reading is more accurate.

I'm doing an experiment on how much hops I can put into a 3" tea ball, and how much hop particles fall out of them, and how the aroma changes over time. (dry hop experiment done in tap water) Anyway, I just went and checked the gravity with my hydrometer. I see no difference between the hop infused water and the tap water. I used 1/2 oz hops in 2 cup water. So I would think that hops don't affect gravity readings.

Back