Wheat Beer Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjs6g3

Reaction score
I'm new to this and my LHBS gave me a recipe for a Belgian Wit or a wheat, not quit sure which. I was wondering if it looks good or should I change the ingrediants up a bit? Also this is a partial mash recie

6lbs LME Wheat
8 oz Carapils (grains)
1 oz Hallertau pellets at 60 min
1 oz Hallertau pelets at 15 min
1 Tbsp corriander
1 Tbsp Bitter Orange Peel
Wyeast #3944 or any wheat yeast

I actually made a very similar recipe except I didn't have the Carapils and I used half the hops in the second addition (1/2 oz.) I also just zested a couple oranges I had in my fridge at the time and added those in about 5 mins left of boil.

In my recipe I went with 7g of corriander which I plan to cut down to 3-4g next time. A couple friends said it was a bit too spicy for their tastes hah.

Overall though it turned out very tasty. It was my first wheat beer and I definitely plan to make it again with some modifications after I try a couple other brews. I'd like to know how the Carapils will change or modify the beer.

For reference my whole recipe was:

3L Liquid Wheat Extract
60 min – 28g Hallartau (4.5AA)
15 min – 14g Hallartau (4.5AA)
10 mins – 7g Crushed Coriander
5 mins – 19g Fresh Orange Zest (2 medium oranges)

OG = 1.049
FG = 1.009

i know a wit and a wheat are the same thing but i was wondering if the ingrediants i was told to use would come out to taste like a belgian style beer instead of an american wheat

i know a wit and a wheat are the same thing but i was wondering if the ingrediants i was told to use would come out to taste like a belgian style beer instead of an american wheat

With wheat beers a lot of it comes down to the yeast. With the yeast you have listed it will come out as a Belgian Wit. If you were to use Wyeast 1056 it would be more of an American Wheat.

Back