Starter size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trimmer

Reaction score
I am going to make my second beer this weekend and I was planning on making my yeast starter this evening. For my second beer I was going to make the Extract 8 from NB. This is a much stronger beer than my first and requires a lot more yeast.

The extract beer I am making has an OG of 1.084. Mr. Malty says I need a 300 Billion yeast cells, 2 smack packs and a 1.77 Liters of a starter. The kit I bought from NB only gave me one smack pack so using two is out of the option. Should I just make a 2 liter starter? I don’t know how to step a starter up, but should I do that as well?

Please help home brew gods!!!!

Extract number 8
http://www.northernbrewer.com/skin/..._theme/images/media/beerkitpdf/TheNumber8.pdf

There is a slider at the bottom of the Mr.Malty calculator that you can adjust to take into account less yeast packets or more packets. You can also increase growth by shaking the starter whenever you think about it (careful if it's starting to build up CO2, I've made a nice mess because the starter liquid glued my foil together and allowed it to build up.

Also don't forget to put in the date of the yeast packet.

To step up a starter you make say a 1-1.5L starter fermet it out, cold crash it in the fridge and while cold pour off the clear starter liquid without pouring out the yeast cake. Then you make a fresh batch of starter (bigger if you can manage) and pour that ontop of the yeast cake from the first starter once it is cooled.

Yes on the 2 liter starter, using one smack pack; shoot for an OG in the starter of 1.040 - 1.050; others will no doubt jump in here with more advice. I just brewed a Pliny clone over the weekend, OG of 1.080. I made a starter using 3/4 gallon of water, 3/4ths pound of light DME, and one vial of WLP001; starter had a gravity of 1.045. I pitched after three days while the starter was still going strong; the Pliny took off in 90 minutes. Starters are amazing!

There is a slider at the bottom of the Mr.Malty calculator that you can adjust to take into account less yeast packets or more packets. You can also increase growth by shaking the starter whenever you think about it (careful if it's starting to build up CO2, I've made a nice mess because the starter liquid glued my foil together and allowed it to build up.

Also don't forget to put in the date of the yeast packet.

To step up a starter you make say a 1-1.5L starter fermet it out, cold crash it in the fridge and while cold pour off the clear starter liquid without pouring out the yeast cake. Then you make a fresh batch of starter (bigger if you can manage) and pour that ontop of the yeast cake from the first starter once it is cooled.
When I slide the bar to the right it says I need a 4.39 liter starter! That is massive. All I have is one 2000ML flask. Any suggestions?

Change the settings from simple starter to shaken itermittently.
Actually, the stir plate I bought came in today so according to Mr. Malty says I will need a 2.85 starter. I guess just make the biggest starter I can with my 2000ML Flask. Let me know if anyone has any other suggestions.

Actually, the stir plate I bought came in today so according to Mr. Malty says I will need a 2.85 starter. I guess just make the biggest starter I can with my 2000ML Flask. Let me know if anyone has any other suggestions.

Make a starter, ferment it out and then crash it out and pour off the clear starter leaving the yeast at the bottom, then pitch some more fresh starter liquid on top.

Alright that is what I will do. Make a starter and let it ferment for a couple days. Put it in the fridge over night. Decant. Make some more wort and pour that on top of the yeast cake in my flask from the previous starter. Sounds great. Thanks Swampass. I'll start it about a 5 or 6 days before my brew day.

Thanks!

Alright that is what I will do. Make a starter and let it ferment for a couple days. Put it in the fridge over night. Decant. Make some more wort and pour that on top of the yeast cake in my flask from the previous starter. Sounds great. Thanks Swampass. I'll start it about a 5 or 6 days before my brew day.

Thanks!

If you have a gallon jug or want to buy and chug some cheapo 1 gallon jug wine to save on the cost you can do that and see if the stir bar will spin in it, then it will save you the hassle of stepping up.

Back