Leftover Hops... what do I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isukendall

Reaction score
I have accumulated some leftover hops that I'd like to use up in one batch if possible, but they're from varying styles. I'm still getting started, mate about ten batches so far but am not quite up to making my own recipes. Up for any suggestions.

I'm brewing 5 gal all-grain batches on a keggle.

Would like to do a stout for the next one, but not sure if I have the right hops for it. Only the Wilamette is common in the stout recipes I've seen. Here's what I have:

1 oz Sterling 7.0% leaf
1/2 oz Wilamette 3.9% leaf
1 oz Saaz 4.0% pellet
1 oz Hood 5.0% leaf

I'd really like to get rid of the Wilamette and the Hood, as I've been sitting on them the longest. I'd appreciate any suggestions! :mug:

willamete, sterling and mt hood will work in a stout. Stout is my vote.

Yeah, you could use just about any of those to bitter a stout. Maybe save the Saaz to finish something more delicate, but the rest of them would be great for a stout.

I'm currently drinking a dry stout that I really like:

7lb Maris Otter
2lb Flaked barley
1lb Roasted barley (the dark 550 L stuff)

I bittered with an ounce of Palisades at 60 min and finished with some Kent Goldings. Mashed low (150, I think) and fermented with Nottingham to get good attenuation. Super easy to make, and it has a nice black coffee roasted flavor.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll go with the suggestion from NochEineMassBitte. That recipe looks nice and straightforward. I'll probably do my hop additions as:

1 oz Sterling 60 min
1/2 oz Willamette 15 min
1 oz Hood 0 min

Cheers!

Back