Blood Orange Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upperNY01brewer

Reaction score
I want to take a Hefe and throw in a few blood oranges. Opinions as to rather to do it at primary or maybe last 10 min of boil or ???????

I love blood oranges. Last week I grilled some skewers with blood oranges mixed in.

Cooked blood oranges tasted terrible. I literally spit them out.

Maybe try boiling a few peices first before you add then to the wort. Also boiling fruit can make your beer cloudy but I think peptic enzyme can cure that.

cheers let us know how it goes.

I've done an orange wheat before and I just steeped the the fruit and rind of 4 oranges (plus some corriander) for 20 (seperate from the boil), put it in a strainer bag and tossed it in the primary for about 5 days and had good results. I'm planning a raspberry wheat and will be racking on top of it in secondary but I haven't done it yet so I can't comment on which one is better. If you do a search I think there's a blood orange recipe with pics kicking around somewhere that might give you some ideas.

Back