Overly Aggressive Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CM1Seabee

Reaction score
Hey guys, "newbie" here, please be gentle! My wort that i cooked yesterday is VERY violent! My airlock kept blowing off last night, so, i just took it off all together;figuring i didnt need it as so much CO2 was coming off the wort. The problem that i,m having is there is so much foam coming out that, this morning 1/3 of my product has already come out. Geez! i,m not gonna have any thing left by the time the yeast is finished. Any ideas? Guess I should divuldge the ingrediants used: 4lbs of cracked corn, 10lbs of sugar, 5 lbs light 2row malt, and turbo yeast. Too much sugars in this mash? Thanks

Hey guys, "newbie" here, please be gentle! My wort that i cooked yesterday is VERY violent! My airlock kept blowing off last night, so, i just took it off all together;figuring i didnt need it as so much CO2 was coming off the wort. The problem that i,m having is there is so much foam coming out that, this morning 1/3 of my product has already come out. Geez! i,m not gonna have any thing left by the time the yeast is finished. Any ideas? Guess I should divuldge the ingrediants used: 4lbs of cracked corn, 10lbs of sugar, 5 lbs light 2row malt, and turbo yeast. Too much sugars in this mash? Thanks

all of that would be your problem. and probably fermentation temp. if you're using turbo yeast and that amount of sugar, you're probably not trying to make beer and should not discuss it on these forums.

10 pounds of sugar? what are you trying to make?

also, what temp is it at? if the temp is high, the yeast really get going, leading to a lot of blow off... my guess is the amount of sugar coupled with high temps is the culprit.

Thanks for your help Billy. This was a recipe a buddy gave me. Said it would produce a beer close to 5%. Thought is might be fun to try. What would a person be making with this recipe? Sorry if i offended you. Hogarthe, the wort was at approx 80 deg.when i pitched the yeast, and the room i had it in is approx 69 deg.

Thanks for your help Billy. This was a recipe a buddy gave me. Said it would produce a beer close to 5%. Thought is might be fun to try. What would a person be making with this recipe? Sorry if i offended you.

no offense here. sounds like a 60 y/o recipe for cheap beer. what beers do you like to drink?

Billy, i drink any, and all beer. Never really had a Bad beer! and, i love to experiment. Krackin, i had a handful of leftover Cascade hops, didnt figure it had anything to do with the EXPLOSIVE wort, so didnt think to mention it in the recipe.

You made alcohol, but I don't know of I would call it beer. More like hooch. Live and learn though. You might want to buy a kit from one of the online retailers next time.

I was asking because what you have going is what I used to make a long time ago and had no access to hops. I used Blue Ribbon malt and all there was for yeast was bread yeast and 2 cakes of Fleishman's went into a 5 gal. batch fermented in a 6-8 crock.

Turbo yeast is a fast acting distillers' yeast and I would expect exactly what you see happening. You need a lot of headspace when using that. I think 7.5 gallon capacity is recommended for 5 gallons.

Back