Bucket or Carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specialized

Reaction score
All hoping you can give me some input.

I brewed a batch last friday and it fermented quite quickly. Its at 1.012 right now. And currently in the fermenting bucket

I just started brewing another batch today.

I only have 1 plastic fermenter and 1 glass carboy.

I was wondering if i should transfer the already brewed batch to the carboy and then put the new batch in the bucket. I don't have a blow off tube for the carboy so I'm a little worried to primary in there.

The batch i'm brewing now is going to be a 1.056 SG.

Thoughts? Should I leave the things alone or should I move everything around? Should I be worried about blow off from the carboy?

you really should just leave it be in the bucket. it might be done dropping gravity (which hasn't been established yet) but there are other things going on that will benefit the resulting beer if you just leave be in that bucket for another week at least. just to go a hardware store and get some 1" tubing for a blowoff if you want to use your carboy (i assume it's a 5 gallon one that comes with a kit?). if it's 6 or 6.5, you can probably just get away with using an airlock, i rarely need a blowoff tube.

If you want to have multiple beers going then you are going to need additional vessels. If you are going to get additional vessels I suggest neither bucket nor carboy.

For about the same money as a carboy and a little more than a bucket you can get a corny keg. They make great secondaries, or primaries, will last practically forever. With no need to worry about scratching the side of a Plastic bucket or having a glass carboy shatter and cut you. Plus if and when you get tired of bottling you are well on you way to start kegging if you already have some corny kegs.

I would go to the hombrew store and get a new bucket.. its like 15 dollars, and then you have it for next time

Doh, I have corny's and empty ones too boot. Should have thought of that. Oh well there's always next time. How would you primary in a corny? Just bleed the pressure daily?

seems like a corny would limit the headspace available for a full 5 - 5.5 gallon brew. i'm sure it works, but i'd be interested to hear more details on it as well.

Back