Bubbles when draining mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soup67

Reaction score
I use a rectangular cooler with a braid. Works really well and, after a few reps (increased sparge temps and stirring was the key for me), I am getting 75-80% eff.

I try to drain the tun dry every time (double batch sparge). Towards the end of each sparge I get bubbles in the drain hose as if it is sucking air into the braid. Of course draining it dry results in more bubbles than if I simply stopped when I first started seeing bubbles. I suspect if I stopped I would leave about 1/2 gallon of wort in the tun.

Neither I nor any of my more "sophisticated" taster-buddies have noticed any off flavors in my beer. Still, I can't help but wonder if this is something I should try to eliminate.

Any thoughts?

i would say your safe man. Your probably right that its sucking air through your braided line. I wouldnt worry about it at all, bubbles cant affect the taste of your beer comming from the mash. RDWHAHB

I use a rectangular cooler with a braid. Works really well and, after a few reps (increased sparge temps and stirring was the key for me), I am getting 75-80% eff.

I try to drain the tun dry every time (double batch sparge). Towards the end of each sparge I get bubbles in the drain hose as if it is sucking air into the braid. Of course draining it dry results in more bubbles than if I simply stopped when I first started seeing bubbles. I suspect if I stopped I would leave about 1/2 gallon of wort in the tun.

Neither I nor any of my more "sophisticated" taster-buddies have noticed any off flavors in my beer. Still, I can't help but wonder if this is something I should try to eliminate.

Any thoughts?

Don't worry about it. It won't affect your beer.

This would be a form of hot-side aeration. Pouring hot wort pre-boil between vessels would be another form. Although the chemistry suggests some undesireable compounds can form by introducing oxygen at this stage, nearly all homebrewers agree that for our purposes makes absolutely no difference to our beer.

Bubble away!

Back