American Ale II - Wyeast 1272

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert_Sky

Since 1998
Reaction score
Lost a batch due to a clogged false bottom (long story but lesson learned)

Anyways, I had some Wyeast 1272. Made a really nice starter, thats sitting in the fridge right now. And I'd like to put it to use.

Says its like 1056 but slightly nutty and tart while being more flocculant. Anyone have any ideas? I was originally going to do a red, but now Im open to suggestions for anything else.

Slightly nutty? I'd say it's screaming for a nut brown/belgian dubbel hybrid of some sort. Pump the ***** full of brown malt, belgian aromatic, some special B perhaps. Winter's coming, you could always go heavier, too...but I don't know how much "winter" you get in AZ.

Oh I think this year we will get pretty cold. So I think you are on to something with that.

I really wish I had ProMash here at work.

Wyeast 1272 is similar to WLP 051. I just used 051 and I rather like it. I made a Rye Beer and a Simcoe- Amarillo Pale Ale with it and the beer is rather good, especially the rye beer. It is a clumpy and heavy yeast.

Blender said:
Wyeast 1272 is similar to WLP 051. I just used 051 and I rather like it. I made a Rye Beer and a Simcoe- Amarillo Pale Ale with it and the beer is rather good, especially the rye beer. It is a clumpy and heavy yeast.

Blender is right on! I love this strain and use it for a wide variety of styles. Rye, Pale, IPA, Smoke, etc...

Experiment and have some fun.

Evan! said:
Slightly nutty? I'd say it's screaming for a nut brown/belgian dubbel hybrid of some sort. Pump the ***** full of brown malt, belgian aromatic, some special B perhaps. Winter's coming, you could always go heavier, too...but I don't know how much "winter" you get in AZ.
It seems that every time I use this yeast and make a starter of about 500 to 800ml per 5 gallons, I have to use a 6.5gallon carboy with a blow off tube or I have a closet full of brown slime. This yeast has a violent fermentation of about 72 hours. There is no doubt that fermentation is taking place!!!!! It also gives your beer an excellent flavor. This is one of Wyeast's stars. Use it but, HOLD ON WITH BOTH HANDS!!!!

Back