Brown Ale to Dundee honey brown Lag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

locchamp

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a true brew recipe kit for brown ale. I really like Dundee Honey brown lagur beer. I know it is a lauger but I do not have the equipment to make a lauger. Is there anyway to add something to my true brew kit brown ale kit to make it very close to the dundee honey brown laguer? Anyone please I wanted to do this this weekend.

Thanks

Well, the only way to make a lager is to, well, make a lager. Fermented with lager yeast at lager fermenting temperatures, and then lagering for about 6 weeks at near freezing temperatures is the classic way to make a lager.

You can make a decent clean tasting lager-like beer, though. I'd use a very "clean" well attenuating ale yeast like Nottingham, and ferment it at 59-60 degrees (NOT ambient temperature- but the temperature of the beer as it ferments. The room might have to be 56-57 degrees). If that's not possible, you could try to do the best you can to keep it under 65 degrees but realize that you may have some fruity esters or other ale yeast characteristics as a result.

I was hoping some sort of ingredient. Some say honey malt now do you steep it or get milled and boil it with the rest?

I was hoping some sort of ingredient. Some say honey malt now do you steep it or get milled and boil it with the rest?

You don't want to boil the grains- you'd steep it with the other grains.

Without knowing your recipe that you already have, I can't tell you what to add to make it different.

I only had the Dundee brown once, but I think it reminded me of Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown. I'm not sure I got a real "honey" taste out of it at all.

Latest posts

Back