Weizenbock recipe - thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkecw

Reaction score
So I'm planning to brew my second weizenbock in a few weeks (first one suffered from an overdose of cherrywood smoked malt and roast flavors, so harsh and astringent... the horror).

I'm going for a pretty complex profile, using grains to accentuate some of the natural flavors I find in a good weizenbock: malt richness/ sweetness (munich, caramunich, melanoidin), spiciness (rye, dark wheat) and a touch of smoke (rauchmalz). I'm also aiming on the darker side of the range.

is there anything in there that looks like a potential hazard? anyone used beechwood smoked malts in low amounts in a beer like this with success? am i making a great classic beer style overly complicated using 10 malts?

I may also go double decoction (worked well on a recent marzen) to add further character, depending on how motivated I feel that day.

thoughts and criticisms greatly appreciated

Rauchenweizenbockbier der Zweite

stats estimate

OG: 1.080
FG: 1.018
SRM: 22.5
IBU: 19

% Amount Name

3.3 0.50 lbs. Smoked(Bamberg)
13.3 2.00 lbs. Wheat Malt
30.0 4.50 lbs. Dark Wheat Malt
3.3 0.50 lbs. Flaked Soft White Wheat
6.7 1.00 lbs. Melanoidin Malt
13.3 2.00 lbs. Munich Malt(dark)
6.7 1.00 lbs. Rye Malt
13.3 2.00 lbs. Pilsener
6.7 1.00 lbs. CaraMunich Malt
3.3 0.50 lbs. Special B Malt

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time

1.00 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh Pellet 4.50 19.2 60 min.

Yeast

WLP380 Hefeweizen IV

Just one pack of yeast?

Seems 1.080 needs a bit more than that. But I don't know what you are doing with the yeast to prepare...

If it was me, I'd drop the Rye and the Smoked malts. Those aren't flavors that I'd expect to find that beer.

Latest posts

Back