Pappy`s Pub Cider - Award Winner!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any input/opinions? I use litre swing tops and haven't any issue...though I do store them under refrigeration.

Allthough refridgeration slows down yeast activity it does not stop it.
I suggest that you fill one plastic bottle to guage the carb level of each bottle. If it gets to where you think it might become a bottle bomb situation, "Burp each bottle"

Last edited:
Coming up on 2 weeks in primary, and the smell coming from the airlock has gone from an alcohol liquor type smell to smelling distinctly sour. Any cause for concern?

What juice did you use?
Did you use "Star-San" on everything the cider touches?
What did you fill the air-lock with?

Motts for the juice, isopropyl alcohol in the airlock, and yes starsan everywhere. 95% sure my sanitation was solid. It has fermented a little warmer then ideal probably, mid 60's for the first week and a half and sitting in the 68-70 range now.

It's also in a glass carboy and everything visually looks fine. I did also add 3 cinnamon sticks a few days ago without sanitizing them or anything

isopropyl alcohol in the airlock, .

Use Star-San in the airlock.
When the temp drops it creates a vacuum and you can get w/e is in the airlock into your brew. Star-San is food grade.
You wouldn't want to drink isopropyl alcohol .
Everything else seems fine....Does it smell like sulphur or like a fart/rotten egg? Unhappy yeast will throw off those smells and cider REALLY needs yeast nutrient added.

Use Star-San in the airlock.
When the temp drops it creates a vacuum and you can get w/e is in the airlock into your brew. Star-San is food grade.
You wouldn't want to drink isopropyl alcohol .
Everything else seems fine....Does it smell like sulphur or like a fart/rotten egg? Unhappy yeast will throw off those smells and cider REALLY needs yeast nutrient added.

Honestly I don't have the greatest since of smell, sour isn't quite right so it could be sulphur-y. I did use some yeast nutrient. Hopefully it's just some stressed yeast. At this point there's nothing I can do but let it ferment out and taste it I suppose. Gonna be taking my new AG set-up for a test drive this week so I'll have something to distract me anyways!

Hi Guys,

This will be my second time brewing this as the first time I brewed this I took the gravity reading after dumping everything in (except the yeast). I had an OG of 1.112 and a FG of 1.040 leaving me with a 13.39% ABV. Which mellowed out after a while but still tastes great. My question is in the batch that Im going to do shortly, is it correct to take the OG after dumping everything in but before adding the sugar and yeast? Or take it after you've dumped EVERYTHING in but before the yeast? Thanks in advance fellas!

There is a formula for x amount of sugar = x amount of extra gravity points.
If i bother taking an OG i do it to the juice before adding anything and use the formula for the sugar. Very consistantly the OG of the juice by itself has been
0.040 for me. It also usually finishes at 0.020 but there has been some variation between some of my batches.

Hope this helps.

I found that pear seems to breakdown slower or less than apple. I had 1040~ apple that eventually finished about 1005, but 1065 pear that finished close to 1020. I added sugar to it after the og was approx 1045. It still has that original sweetness with a decent amount of dryness.

Of all the cider/apple wine recipes I've tried and including my own experiments this is by far my favorite and will be a staple in my home from now on.

I followed the recipe through secondary and then had two deviations. I didn't use a clearing agent and on bottling day I added potassium metabisulfite, allowing time for it to do it's magic and gas off. Don't need any explosions in my pantry and I highly doubt the first batch lasts long enough for lack of oxygen to be much issue (I use swing top bottles so there's no cork to allow for breathing.)

Going into this ferment I was honestly expecting to wind up with jet fuel but I am more than pleased with the results. It's a very still, sweet apple wine. Mine came in around 14%
:drunk:

And yes, don't attempt any form of basic mobility or communication after consuming more than a glass. Due to "slippage" I was a liter bottle short on bottling night. So with some ice in a tumbler I plopped down in my recliner to test drive the new concoction....sometime around 6am I woke up and couldn't figure out how to close the chair
:mug:

Oh, and here's a pic just for fun. Happy fermenting!

20161001_235139.jpg

Question - Can I use fresh pressed juice (well its frozen but frozen fresh from our press)? Or any changes if using this juice?

Yes.
You might want to use something to kill off any bugs present in it then wait a day before adding the sugar/nutrients/yeast.

Ok. Perfect. I used 5 campden tablets! ?
I'm in the great white north so we dont have Mott's the juice you mentioned or tree top. Is it just pure clear apple juice or is it cloudy to start like fresh pressed? We have santa cruz which is pressed like (I'm running out of the pressed stuff). Thanks

What about adding some peach flavour? I love peach flavoured cider. Any thoughts and I am new to cider (have 30 gallons currently in primary and secondaries though - was a good apple year)

Screen shot 2016-10-05 at 10.36.42 AM.jpg

Screen shot 2016-10-05 at 10.40.23 AM.png

globell, where you at?

I have 5 gal of pappys fermenting now but used superstore (no name apple juice, 88 cents/Liter). I will let you know how it turns out.

I also have some cloudy (like fresh pressed) from superstore (presidents choice apple cider) as well that is brewing but only 1gal batches, they will be made into applejack.

My last batch i used sunrype pure apple juice so we will see how it compares.

I'm in Western Canada and those are all names i recognize! Cool. Waiting to hear! and have you found any apple juice concentrate frozen? I have been looking without success. Thanks BILTIT!

Western Canada myself, lloydminster ab/sk border.

I haven't looked for any frozen concentrate but you should be able to find some in the frozen can juice section.

I just got done about a hour ago grinding and pressing 5 gallons of fresh apples... I put 4 gallons in a fermenting bucket and I will be adding the yeast tomrrow on a count I threw 4 tablets in it.... hope it turns out as good as everyone says it is which I'm sure it will!!! I don't think I'm doing the second ferment I'll crash freeze it after I siphon it off .... Thanks for the recipe.. might be one more I keep around for future use!!

Western Canada myself, lloydminster ab/sk border.

I haven't looked for any frozen concentrate but you should be able to find some in the frozen can juice section.

Let me know if you find any and what chain store it was at. Nothing here yet

Paps...
Is it 1118 champagne yeast that likes a lower end of the fermenting temp for smoother end product or is that a general good practice?

My house sits at about 70 and my cool room stays at 65 and dips to 60 in winter.

Have more cider currently fermenting with m02 (mangrove jacks) and Nottingham (primary) and 1118 and 1116 in secondary fermentation

It's a general good practice but each yeast has a different range.
S0-5 supposedly throws off wierd peachy flavors if kept too cool.
Your cool room is where you should be making the cider, 60-65 is perfect for EC-1118 IMHO

I am going to make this recipe next week. SWMBO has a 10 pound bag of sugar left over from jam making, Langers AJ is on sale at Safeway and I coincidentally just ordered the EC-1118 yeast. Due to the size of my fermenters I am going to step it up to 6.5 gallons of AJ and 13 pounds of sugar. Should I add all the sugar at once like the original recipe in the first post or step feed it in? Our temps are pretty cool overnight, should I keep the temps up in the low 60's or will mid to low 50's overnight be ok?

I am pretty excited to try this recipe, relatively inexpensive and sounds like it will be a lot of bang for the buck. The bulk of this will end up in a keg to age as is but there is that extra gallon or so????

I ferment in the 60's
One thing though. no matter what temp you run at you want it to be steady.
Ten degree fluctuations could put the yeast to sleep.
A cheap work-around for this would be to place your fermenting bucket inside a larger container filled with water to partially submerge the actual fermentor.
This will act as a buffer for temp swings.
I can't say that i've gone as low as the 50`s with this cider and with the large amount of sugar, i often finding myself shaking the bucket several times daily near the end of fermentation to keep the yeast going.
I do add all of the sugar at one time as i like to keep things simple if i can but i could see adding extra yeast nutrient/energiser in steps as benificial.

Just a note, i added all the sugar at once (but didn't dissolve it into the juice) and 3 of 4 fermentations (the 3 that i added the sugar) did not start. The sugar crystallized at the bottom and must have prevented the yeast from doing its thing. I racked most of the liquid off and swirl dissolved the sugar into the juice before putting it all back into the primary. Those 3 stagnant vessels took off in 8hrs or less.

The one recipe that i did not add sugar to was off and running easily so that's how i knew something was up.

So i suggest you learn from me, dissolve the sugar in wether it be some or all.

EC-1118 is good down to 50F so it should be fine.

Ocasionally you will get some lag time but it will start.
I've had a batch or two that i thought it was bad yeast after 24 hours but it took off after that. The packets were on the shelf at the LHBS but were not expired.
But if you have the means and the motivation to dissolve some of the sugar there is definately no harm in doing so.

We just started a batch of 6 gallons Tree Top three apple blend with four pounds of brown sugar and Nottingham yeast last week. That batch did not want to start (at least not fast enough for me) so I took it in the living room and set it near the fireplace (not too close) and shook the heck out of it every half hour or so. After each shaking it would bubble a little and stop. Before bed I mixed up a concoction of Go Ferm Protect and Fermaid O dumped it in shook well and put it back in the kitchen. By morning it was bubbling away.

I am pretty sure that batch would have took off on it's own eventually but I was anxious as the yeast was just out of date. Should I expect this batch of Pappy's to take off as slowly? Possibly I need to practice more patience?

So, I obviously have Go Ferm Protect and Fermaid O which will hopefully be adequate nutrients for this. Do you add more nutrients along the way (Step feeding, I just did this with a Cyser) or just what you added in the beginning?

:mug::mug:

I like to keep things as simple as possible (read that as "I'm lazy")
and therefore add all the nutrients in at the beginning.
I do however add a good bit more than originally posted but i can no longer edit the original post to reflect this.

Brew on.

Let me know if you find any and what chain store it was at. Nothing here yet

Superstore has frozen apple juice from concentrate. Just picked some up (no name brand). Cheating and going to try and build some ice cider from frozen concentrate.

Og is 1.169 corrected.

Superstore has frozen apple juice from concentrate. Just picked some up (no name brand). Cheating and going to try and build some ice cider from frozen concentrate.

Og is 1.169 corrected.

WAHOO! Thank you!! Picked some up today. Pressing more apples tomorrow too

globell, where you at?

I have 5 gal of pappys fermenting now but used superstore (no name apple juice, 88 cents/Liter). I will let you know how it turns out.

I also have some cloudy (like fresh pressed) from superstore (presidents choice apple cider) as well that is brewing but only 1gal batches, they will be made into applejack.

My last batch i used sunrype pure apple juice so we will see how it compares.

Please do let me me know the differences! You're welcome to PM me!

@globell...I haven't tried Strongbow Gold yet but I hope to do soon. I would say this cider is about as sweet as Angry Orchard but smoother with a more intense flavor.

I definitely plan to start another batch of Pappy's Cider in a couple of weeks and add some cinnamon sticks or Martinelli's mulling spices to a couple of gallons. By this time next year the 2015 will be consumed and the 2016 will ready. :mug:

You must have more patience/dilligence than i if you can hang onto a batch for a full year before drinking it.
:)

oh and the cinnamon in the secondary tastes absofukkinglutely great for anyone whom wanted to know.

Awesome. Pitching yeast on another batch tonight (first one is only 2.5 weeks in primary). Still bubbling away.

For your cinnamon sticks...how long were they. Seem to come in small and large sticks here. About 4-6" and then 10-12".

Excited. Will keg this!

This is a cut-n-paste from a member called `woozy`
=================================================================
Well, it's all a guess but flying by the seat of my pants:

Pounds of sugar to get 1% of alcohol boost = no. gallons/(6*attenuation of yeast).

So to raise a 5 gallon batch 1% with yeast attenuating at 75%, you should add 5 gallons/(.75 * 6) = 5 gallons/4.5 = 1.1111111.... = 1 1/9 lb of sugar.

(Because ... 1 1/9 lb of sugar in a gallon will rise the o.g. by 1 1/9 * 46 = 51.1111 pts. So in 5 gallons it will raise the o.g. by (1/5)* 5.1111 = 10.2222. This will raise the potential alcohol percentage by .131 * 10.2222 = 1.339% =~ 1 1/3%. But as the yeast has an attenuation of 75% the actual alcohol percentage will go up by 1 1/3% * 3/4 = 4/3 * 3/4 % = 1%)

(the 6 comes about because .131 * 46 = 6.026 =~ 6. .131 is the scale to convert points to potential alcohol, and 46 is the gravity points of a pound of sugar in 1 gallon of wort.)
=================================================================
going by what this guy says the 10 lbs of sugar alone potentially has 13.39 % ABV
the next batch that i do i'll try to remember to take a reading of the juice without adding the sugar.
Hope this helps
-Paps

My SG measured at 1.13 with fresh pressed juice

They were the shorter of the two that you mention.
Sometimes i will throw them in the keg and just leave them in there till the keg is kicked.
ATM i make 4 different variants of this cider.
1 - regular
2 - cinnamon
3 - vanilla
4 - oak barrel aged
All of them are decent but i'll admit i like the oak barrel aged the most but i do like the flavor of whiskey for the rare times i drink spirits anymore so that's not really much of a suprise.
I do plan on making more variants but i just don't talk about it much on here....perhaps if i get motivated and make 50 gallons or so at once and do the `finishing process` to them all and get them all bottled up together, then i'll post a pic of all the types in bottles together but that actually takes me getting motivated (and of course aging everything) so i wouldn't count on that pic for another 6 months or longer.
-Cheers.

Paps...
Have you ever tried using some yellow sugar in the mix? Tossing sugar in right now.
Not a brown but a golden or yellow sugar. More fine grained, lighter taste by far then brown or demarrara

Back