Lack of carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkoller8485

Reaction score
Please excuse me if my answer is posted somewhere, I took a quick look but didn't see anything exact. I recently brewed and bottled a batch of "Lunar Wit" a Blue Moon clone. I used the priming sugar that came in the kit, made a solution with boiling water and mixed it into bottling bucket before bottling. The kit says a week in the bottle and I should be all set. I am at 9 days now and there is some carbonation, but not nearly what I believe there should be... Is the batch ruined or if I let it sit long enough will it continue to build carbonation? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Let it sit for at least 3 weeks to obtain optimum carbonation. Also make sure temps are not too low (ie low 60s)

WAY to early. Let them sit for another 2 weeks and you'll notice a difference. Some may take longer, but a good general rule is a minimum of 3-4 weeks in the bottle for conditioning/carbonation. I'm drinking a fat tire clone now that wasn't what I thought was good until 5 weeks in the bottle.

THe answer s actually all over the place on here. Your instructions are wrong.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Lazy Llama came up with a handy dandy chart to determine how long something takes in brewing, whether it's fermentation, carbonation, bottle conditioning....

chart.jpg

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

Make sure they're above 70 and come back to them in a couple weeks.

:mug:

THe answer s actually all over the place on here. Your instructions are wrong.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Revvy, do have these responses saved in a database somewhere?:cross:

I know you have been on this forum for a long time but I love your responses and how they are so consistent, accurate of course, but consistent!

I enjoy reading your responses sometimes more than writing them!

Prost :mug:

Back