Dry yeast not active in Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWPAbrewer

Reaction score
Alright.

I just brewed up a kit, continental pilsner I believe is the name of it. This will be my third batch of beer, so I've done my homework, so I feel pretty certain I carried out the steps correctly. However, after pitching the yeast, I'm not seeing any activity even after a few days.

Things I'm almost certain aren't the problem:

I made sure that the wort was below 70 before pitching anything (in fact I think I had it at around 65 before I pitched

I stirred the yeast into the wort well

The kit claims that the yeast should perform at ale temperatures too, so it isn't that it isn't cold enough now in the fermenter

So the question is a two parter- did I just have some dud yeast, and can I just pitch more right in there to get things going? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Well, what kind of yeast was it (the strain?) and what temperature is it sitting at now? And, what is the current SG? Those answers will help us figure out what to do.

Ah sure sure, ok well the yeast was just what came in the kit, which Im having trouble figuring out what it was...It was a brewer's best kit, and I cant say much more than that. As for the SG it's currently sitting at about 1.01, and the fermenter is in the basement which is about 68 degrees usually.

Might be more active than you think. 1.010 is the final gravity for a fully fermented beer. I'd like to know what activity you were looking for. If you use an airlock with water in it, you would normally see it bubbling like mad. However, bucket fermenters often have air leaks through which the CO2 passes -- and you never see bubbles.

If you use a clear carboy, you would definately see some kind of activity in the body of the beer. Serious turbidity, a foamy krausen forming on top, etc. If you have visibility of the beer and you did not get any of this, you definately should pitch more yeast. Just dump a packet of Fermentis S-23 (or even an ale yeast like S-05) in there. Don't bother stirring, it'll get busy on its own. More yeast will not cause any problem.

Pitching the yeast at a warm temperature would not result in stalled fermentation, so that is not the problem. Yeast LOVE warm temperatures. They unfortunately make some undesirable flavors at elevated temps.

BTW, did you measure the OG (original gravity) before you pitched the yeast?

Yes, everything you're saying makes sense and I agree. I should have just tested a sample before I posted anything, as soon as I dropped the hyrdometer in I knew it had progressed. The OG was up around 1.04, so it definitely has been active. I was just surprised not to see bubbling activity.

I am using a plastic bucket with a water airlock, but it's quite possible that there is a leak (I didnt know that was common). You're right also, I tasted the sample and it was a bit yeasty.

Back