Secondary additions in a beer to be aged

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullet

Reaction score
I made a big barleywine sort of beer recently, and the recipe calls for dry hopping with 2oz of EKG and for the beer to be aged for 8 to 12 months.

Should I dry hop for the regular two weeks, bottle, and age in the bottles? Should I dry hop for two weeks, rack off it and age it in the carboy? Should I age it in the carboy and dry hop for the last two weeks? Should I dry hop for the entire 8 to 12 months?

I was also thinking that a bit of oak would probably be nice in this beer as well. And, I have the same questions about the oak too, when should I put it in, how long should I leave it, how much should I use?

Thanks in advance!

well i can tell you what not to do. first you don't want to dry hop for 8-12 months unless you like grass flavored beer. i also wouldn't age my beer for 8-12 months in a secondary after dry hoping. by the time you bottle the hop aroma and flavor will be gone. as far as the rest of your questions i don't know. someone with more experience is going to have to answer them.

As for the oak chips I would recommend going small, maybe an ounce of medium toast/ 5gallons for two weeks. I am not sure the exact amount becuase it varies with how much surface area the chips are manufactured with, but I would halve the amount the manufacturer recommends for wine. With Barley wine I dont think french vs hungarian vs american will make much differnece So just get the cheapest.

I would probably dry hop/oak now, bottle in two weeks and condition in the bottle. Conditioning in the Carboy has more risk of oxidation.

Dry hopping will be a waste of hops unless you'll be drinking the beer within a month or so. I'd bulk age 6 months as is, add bourbon soaked oak cubes to the secondary and age another month, then dry hop and age 2 more weeks. Then taste and bottle. If anything seems wrong, age longer in the bottles.

Of course, I've been impatient lately so all of the above timeframes tend to get cut in half...

I've been doing a lot of bigger bees with oaking lately (I use Jack Daniels Smoking chips, toasted in a cast iron pan for a bit, steamed and then soaked in bourbon.)

What I've been doing is racking it to a secondary for a week, then racking it off to a tertiary for however long I am bulk aging the beer.

Latest posts

Back