3/8"-1/2" copper tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickeldeposit

Reaction score
So toss out some websites or other places you’ve found that usually have good prices on copper tubing.
You can pm me if you like.

I just picked up a 3/8"X50' roll at Menard's last night for $38+change. I needed to make a new IC. Picked up a couple of compression fittings while I was there to put on the ends. I'll roll it out, reform it and will put it together this weekend. Coppertubingsales.com had been the go-to place, but now their prices are the same as what I can get locally.

I just picked up a 3/8"X50' roll at Menard's last night for $38+change. I needed to make a new IC. Picked up a couple of compression fittings while I was there to put on the ends. I'll roll it out, reform it and will put it together this weekend. Coppertubingsales.com had been the go-to place, but now their prices are the same as what I can get locally.

FWIW... have you ever tried forming an IC while the coil is still rolled up as it comes in the package? that worked way better for me than the first time when i stretched out the whole roll and then tried to re-coil it...

FWIW... have you ever tried forming an IC while the coil is still rolled up as it comes in the package? that worked way better for me than the first time when i stretched out the whole roll and then tried to re-coil it...
No, but now I will! Thanks for the tip! When you think about it, it makes more sense.

no sweat, i picked up that tip from a thread on here and it definitely helps... i still suck at rolling copper tube though! but my last effort was with 1/2 ID, so i'm sure that's why i had so much difficulty, plus i didn't have anyone 'round to help!

Give me a call brother if you need an extra pair of hands. 50' roll of 3/8" for $38 is cheap, was that type L?

hey, go check lowe's in ames. IIRC, the 50' 3/8 there was at a really good price. $38 at the most. this was a few weeks ago, but the price had been holding steady for a while.

Home Depot and Menards both had 50' of 3/8" for $38, give or take a buck.

Ok this maybe a stupid question but must be asked. Other than wall thickness is there a difference between copper types (water vs. gas service, refrigeration)? Is all copper safe to use just different wall thicknesses? I see the ½” ODx 50’ is $38.39 while the ½” OD x 60’ type L is $69.99? Please fill me in.

Thicker is for higher pressure tolerance, etc. You actually want the THINNEST possible, (although it doesn't matter too much because copper has such fantastically low heat capacity and great conduction). You don't put much pressure in it, so just keep it cheap! I think the refrige is cheapest.

Oh, and the gas rated stuff has a lining or something in it, but that still won't hurt your beer for an IC.

Anyway, Menards, 1/2" x 50', 38 bucks. Do it.

Yep $38.39*.07(tax here)=$41.07
1/2" OD x 50' refrigeration And just make the stop on the way home from work.

Im thinking about going with 1/2" also but the penny pincher in me says "You can save $10 if you go with 3/8"!"

Ya, I definitely try to save when I can. I am kinda mad at myself... I went with 50' of 1/2" from coppertubingsales.com but I only used about 35' as that much was already a couple inches above my 5 gallon mark, probably right at the 10 gallon (havent done a 10 gallon batch yet). I don't know what to do with the remain 15' and feel like i am wasting that money by not having a use for it!

I got a converted keg so I'm doing 10 gal batches and I think this will be just right. I dont have a pump so counter flow is out of the question but not out of my mind. I still need gravity! I'm just looking for good cheap price!

Ya, I definitely try to save when I can. I am kinda mad at myself... I went with 50' of 1/2" from coppertubingsales.com but I only used about 35' as that much was already a couple inches above my 5 gallon mark, probably right at the 10 gallon (havent done a 10 gallon batch yet). I don't know what to do with the remain 15' and feel like i am wasting that money by not having a use for it!

You could always make some false bottoms and sparge arms with the remaining stuff. Even if you aren't doing AG, you may be able to sell them to one of the less mechanically inclined or too busy to do it themselves AG brewers.

Back