First experience with exploding bottle..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aronius

Reaction score
Was a random bottle left sitting on the counter for a few days. Sounded like a gunshot. Shattered a measuring beaker and flower vase nearby. Left glass shards embedded in my coffee grinder and food processor and walls. I was only three feet away just starting to transfer my wort and somehow was untouched by glass. But behind me hanging on the opposite wall ten feet away my spice bottles looked like they had been used for target practice. Was this divine intervention???

Gives you quite a start when one of those suckers blows, doesn't it? Pretty unusual to splinter into lots of pieces prior to hitting the floor/walls though - usually they just blow out the bottom or the neck.

I made some homemade ginger ale when I was a kid. Took a bottle out of the fridge to drink and then forgot about it on the counter. As the day went by the sunbeam traveled up the counter and hit the bottle. *BOOM*

but, bottles don't xplode on the counter under ANY normal circumstance.

I'd keep all bottles form that batch COLD, and exercise caution when handling/opening them.

sounds like it was bottled too early, or there's a bottle-born infection that started fermentation back up.

This was the last bottle of the batch. It was a very good batch. I was keeping one bottle so I could try it after a couple months. I'm guessing it was something in the bottle. Not a single distinguishable piece after the explosion except for the cap. I use the 4.5 oz priming sugar packs from AHS and with a full 5-5.5 gallon batch my carbonation is usually on the low side. I've never even had a gusher.

I had this happen to me on my light stout. all the others are just fine(drinking 1 right now) but 1 in the box splinter and had shards stuck allover in my little brew cabinet.

but, bottles don't xplode on the counter under ANY normal circumstance.

I'll clarify my post that the ginger ale recipe was one of those that you arrest fermentation after x number of days by putting them all in the fridge. Live yeast with lots of sugar left is a bad combination. Precisely why you don't bottle early!

I'll clarify my post that the ginger ale recipe was one of those that you arrest fermentation after x number of days by putting them all in the fridge. Live yeast with lots of sugar left is a bad combination. Precisely why you don't bottle early!

yeah, those kinds of risks making root beer is why I just kegged the only batch I made :)

Back