Sanitizing primary with Iodophor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supermoth

Reaction score
Do I remember correctly that Iodophor sanitizes on contact? Does that mean I can just pour a small amount in my primary and shake well to make sure the entire inside surface has been covered?

Iodaphor takes 90 seconds or so to sanitize. You can swirl it around once or twice so that the liquid makes contact with the surfaces. It is not a cleaner.

How much is a small amount?

Thanks for that thread, Revvy, I think it confirms what was floating around in the back of my memory, which is that a working concentration of Iodophor will sanitize (not clean), pretty much on contact. I followed the instructions on the bottle to dilute with 1 tsp in 1.5 gallons of water.

By a small amount, Blender, I imagined filling my primary with an inch or so of dilute iodophor and sloshing to make sure all surfaces have been covered. This is only a 1-gallon primary, though... (what does that make me? a femto-brewer?)

Thanks for that thread, Revvy, I think it confirms what was floating around in the back of my memory, which is that a working concentration of Iodophor will sanitize (not clean), pretty much on contact. I followed the instructions on the bottle to dilute with 1 tsp in 1.5 gallons of water.

By a small amount, Blender, I imagined filling my primary with an inch or so of dilute iodophor and sloshing to make sure all surfaces have been covered. This is only a 1-gallon primary, though... (what does that make me? a femto-brewer?)

If you had splashed undiluted around, I don't now if it would have killed, but it would have stained something nasty, and would probably have affected the taste of the brew bigtime...But on the other hand, if the ever dropped the big one, bottles of your brew would be quite valuable as a protection against radiation sickness. :D

If you had splashed undiluted around, I don't now if it would have killed, but it would have stained something nasty, and would probably have affected the taste of the brew bigtime...But on the other hand, if the ever dropped the big one, bottles of your brew would be quite valuable as a protection against radiation sickness. :D

It would have also protected me against goiter!

Back