Oklahoma Only Brewers Group on the HBT!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://localok.org/

Need to contact the House Committee of Alcohol, Tobacco and Controlled Substances for support on Beer Law Modernization. Take a look at the website above and bug the crap out of the senators...they have nothing better to do.

Looks like both bills passed the House Committee. To be voted on in the house floor in the next three weeks. We shall see. But I believe a couple of the items will have to be put to a vote of the people. So...more nervous waiting.

It's crazy how resistant they are to refrigeration.
Anyway, I sent my emails and made my phone calls.
So it's good to be one step closer.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sce...cle_c78ffd13-7fef-5db9-9e24-04f12e364ec4.html

Here is some reading.

Sounds like the brewery full strength sales bill may actually be signed into law. I don't know for sure...but from other news sources who could be way off (Koco 5 out of OKC) its supposed to be signed by the Governor. The reason I am hearing the refrigeration bill is being held up is because they changed it drastically from what was first drafted. Now as the bill reads its not only allowing for refrigeration in liquor stores but all gas/grocery stores will be able to sell all strength cold beer. Which changes the 2 point system all together to just a single strength system like most normal beer laws in other states. Need to find out more about this somewhere. Our crappy newspapers around here don't give it much coverage.

I feel like the version of the refrigeration bill I contacted the representation about and was voted on yesterday, made several mentions of the need for "single strength beer".

But I did see the What the Ale posting that said it was to be rewritten.
That's what makes me worry we will end up losing that critical piece.

But I did see the What the Ale posting that said it was to be rewritten.
That's what makes me worry we will end up losing that critical piece.

Yeah, I don't understand what needs to be rewritten...that's why I contacted the Localok.org persons about a detailed update to the bills as they stand today and what is next as far as their passage. Because none of our news sites mention much about them except they've passed the house committee.

I really hope it doesn't have to be voted on by the people.

That's the link everyone can use to find your state representative and get their number to call them and show your support for SB383 and SB434.

When KFOR finally decided to mention the story last night, they said it's been put on hold for a year so they could rewrite it. I can't help but be pessimistic like that.

And of course they had an old timer's liquor store owner on air stating how it would ruin his business if it passed. Funny, when I travel I never see any less liquor stores even with grocery stores carrying beer. I guess if your liquor store was all Shiner and Smirnoff you might need to be worried :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm from Vegas you can buy tequila in Walmart. I can see it being and investment at first for the store owners. But they will more than make up for it when more brewery want to bring their products into the state. And the shelf life of the products.

When KFOR finally decided to mention the story last night, they said it's been put on hold for a year so they could rewrite it. I can't help but be pessimistic like that.

And of course they had an old timer's liquor store owner on air stating how it would ruin his business if it passed. Funny, when I travel I never see any less liquor stores even with grocery stores carrying beer. I guess if your liquor store was all Shiner and Smirnoff you might need to be worried :rolleyes:

That's what I've told my liquor store lady. Wal Mart isn't going to carry craft beer, liquor or select wines. They'll sell their big box brands.

Also, I'd rather take two shots to the nuts before I'd step foot in one of those hell holes. I'd much rather run into a liquor store buy my keystone light and be gone than navigate that effin circus.

That's what I've told my liquor store lady. Wal Mart isn't going to carry craft beer, liquor or select wines. They'll sell their big box brands.

Also, I'd rather take two shots to the nuts before I'd step foot in one of those hell holes. I'd much rather run into a liquor store buy my keystone light and be gone than navigate that effin circus.

This is quite simply, untrue.

WalMart, Koger, Publix, Costco, Target, and many other have backed bills throughout the nation to abolish the separation laws and thus promote "convenience" to consumers.

Now, having said that, WalMart et al will not dedicate huge expanses of space to stock every brand and style but, I can guarantee you they will stock whatever is shown to move.

Liquor stores will still have a niche to fill if they make strides to carry everything that is available to them but do not fool yourself into thinking that big retailer won't hurt the liquor stores.

All the whining from liquor stores won't change the fact that beer should be refrigerated.

My liquor store stocks what I ask them to stock. I'm the reason they sell Prairie and a dozen other things.

If this law passes, all they have to do to keep my loyalty is buy some coolers.
I understand they would rather not, and I don't care.

All the whining from liquor stores won't change the fact that beer should be refrigerated.

My liquor store stocks what I ask them to stock. I'm the reason they sell Prairie and a dozen other things.

If this law passes, all they have to do to keep my loyalty is buy some coolers.
I understand they would rather not, and I don't care.

I get it but, the flip side to that is that the liquor store owners who pride themselves on selection will fade in numbers if they are forced to refrigerate their offerings. Most all liquor stores will gladly order in whatever a customer requests (if they can get it), I doubt the big boxers will.

I get it but, the flip side to that is that the liquor store owners who pride themselves on selection will fade in numbers if they are forced to refrigerate their offerings. Most all liquor stores will gladly order in whatever a customer requests (if they can get it), I doubt the big boxers will.

Huh? Forced to refrigerate? All of my local liquor stores are happy to do this and have plans in the works to make the refrigeration happen but it's not like they are or will be required to do so.

To me the simple fact that it's 10000 times easier for me to get a couple Prairie Weiss and some founders all day ipa from my liquor store than wondering if Wal Mart carries either and dealing with the hassle makes this a no brainier. I agree some liquor stores may feel the squeeze but those liquor stores are probably already feeling it. The majority will be fine.

Huh? Forced to refrigerate? All of my local liquor stores are happy to do this and have plans in the works to make the refrigeration happen but it's not like they are or will be required to do so.

To me the simple fact that it's 10000 times easier for me to get a couple Prairie Weiss and some founders all day ipa from my liquor store than wondering if Wal Mart carries either and dealing with the hassle makes this a no brainier. I agree some liquor stores may feel the squeeze but those liquor stores are probably already feeling it. The majority will be fine.

Many of the smaller stores have no issue with the idea of refrigeration for them it is not that insurmountable a task. For other stores it is. Stores like Cellar Wine, Byrons, etc.. it is. The expenditure of the equipment needed to house such a large stock, losses incurred while making conversions, overhead for the utilities. Sure, much of this will get passed on to the consumer.

As to whether or not retailers will be forced to refrigerate it will depend on where the regulation "torch" gets passed. Currently, low point beer is regulated by city/county health and as a result it is required to refrigerate.

High point, wine, and spirits are regulated by the ABLE commission and is not required to refrigerate.

At one point it was speculated that the most direct means to accommodate a change to allow the refrigeration of high point, wine, and spirits is to simply adjust who regulates. Thus, if city/county is appointed to regulate then it is possible that everything will be required to be refrigerated. The last I heard about this was that spirits were being questioned regarding any benefit by refrigeration.

Many of the smaller stores have no issue with the idea of refrigeration for them it is not that insurmountable a task. For other stores it is. Stores like Cellar Wine, Byrons, etc.. it is. The expenditure of the equipment needed to house such a large stock, losses incurred while making conversions, overhead for the utilities. Sure, much of this will get passed on to the consumer.

As to whether or not retailers will be forced to refrigerate it will depend on where the regulation "torch" gets passed. Currently, low point beer is regulated by city/county health and as a result it is required to refrigerate.

High point, wine, and spirits are regulated by the ABLE commission and is not required to refrigerate.

At one point it was speculated that the most direct means to accommodate a change to allow the refrigeration of high point, wine, and spirits is to simply adjust who regulates. Thus, if city/county is appointed to regulate then it is possible that everything will be required to be refrigerated. The last I heard about this was that spirits were being questioned regarding any benefit by refrigeration.

Would be nice to see the bill as it is now to know more about what they are working with.

Byron's is also a distributor correct? Also their beer selection isn't the greatest anyway for such a big store.

I wonder if the distributors will be made to refrigerate then too.

Would be nice to see the bill as it is now to know more about what they are working with.

Byron's is also a distributor correct? Also their beer selection isn't the greatest anyway for such a big store.

I wonder if the distributors will be made to refrigerate then too.

True, Byrons selection on beer is not the greatest but they do have a good wine selection and a lot of Spirits. I was trying differentiate between the larger warehouse type stores and the smaller strip mall type stores.

On this I am not sure. Never paid any attention to whether or not low point is distributed from refrigerated trucks or not. I do know that at one point there was a push for it. IIRC, the idea was that if the product is refrigerated by the maker then it would have to be maintained in refrigerated storage until final sales to the consumer.

Both bills passed the house!!

Now what happens?

It says they are being sent to Conference...?

I think they have to go back to the senate for a vote because of the changes made to the bills in the house.

So I was reading the summary of sb383 and it made it sound like it was to be put to a vote of the people. Is this true?

SB383 directs that should the people vote to amend the Oklahoma Constitution to remove restrictions on the control of low-point beer and wine, the Legislature is to enact laws providing for the strict regulation and control on the distribution, possession and transportation of all alcoholic beverages. The measure would authorized the sale of beer and wine in licensed retail stores and provides that goods, wares or other merchandise can be sold on the same premises on which retail alcoholic beverages are sold. The measure requires that the space in where retail alcoholic beverages are sold or displayed must be able to be secured by a door or closure during those times that retail sales of alcoholic beverages are prohibited. The measure would also allow a package store to sell beer that has been chilled to a temperature below room temperature.

Listening to Rep Russ makes my blood boil.
I blind fool on so many ways, I wouldn't know where to begin.

I guess he thinks all parents must be inept...those pesky Teenagers are out of control!

So is it fair to say the other bill regarding brewery sales has a clearer path?

From what I understand yes. But it is still going to conference to more clearly detail the bill. SO then it will have to be voted on again by both the senate and the house (assuming changes are made at conference) before going to the Governor to sign...at least from what I understand.

Everybody does seem to be more focused on the single strength - cold beer bill rather than the brewery bill. TO be honest, I am more pumped about the brewery bill and what it could mean for local Breweries and Brewpubs.

I think they are trying to write legislation for a separate brewpub bill next year. I'm super excited to see how that's going to come out

OKC Craft Beer Fest here I come! It was pretty awesome last year and I'm pumped to see more of the new local breweries out there!

In doors was a little difficult for me, but we had a good time.
I liked Choc's sour/wild side project. Born Free.

Born Free is a 4% side project. SB 383 and SB424 have both been sent back to committee. Meaning both are tabled for this year. Hopefully we'll get to vote on them next presidential election.

Back